Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
Can anyone recommend anything similar to watch next?
Not just any old junk but something with some historical accuracy and great story line would be most helpful.
Boardwalk Empire is a pretty good series, 5 seasons with over 50 episodes.

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
Dr Quinn medicine woman.

:nana:
Band of Brothers, you may have already seen it if not I urge you to see it immediately.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Actually, Rome was originally going to be a mini-series, but was expanded to a full series based on a 2 year commitment. There were concepts for 3rd - 5th seasons, but each season was conceived as its own complete story, so there are no cliffhangers. It's probably the most lavish and expensive series ever done, and that's part of the reason that more seasons didn't get made. Instead, seasons 3 & 4 were telescoped into season 2 to wrap up that story completely.

In its way, Rome is at the same level as Deadwood.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Boardwalk Empire is another terrific choice! Martin Scorsese and gangsters go together very well. The blue-ray set includes a lot of fascinating material about the historical characters and events recounted in the series.

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
Berlin Alexanderplatz is excellent. I would suggest Heimat although be warned it's not to everyone's taste.

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
First season of SOA was Macbeth on bikes. The rest was a car crash.
I do like Vikings. Floki is whacked and Largathea floats me long boat. I'm looking forward to the new season.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Well I just watched the last episode...and folks weren't wrong about the cliffhanger ending, my only disappointment in the whole series.
Superbly written and acted (though I thought Cy Tolliver came across as a tad 'hammy') with excellent location shots this has to be the best boxed set I ever watched!
Now to decide on which set to buy next from those suggested :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"imagine what would have followed in the next season."
Davet, it appears all is not lost and hope survives. The below is courtesy of Wikipedia...
There were initial plans to conclude the series with two TV films, but those plans never came to fruition. In 2015, talks resumed between HBO and Milch, and in January 2016, HBO green-lit a script to be written.
...so there we have it, Deadwood may well come alive again and I'll certainly drink to that :clap:
Regards,
Jay.

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
How about "Vikings" next? Do you get that on the telly over there? If not the first four episodes are on DVD and available through Amazon. It is similar in that it based on historical characters and events with "brilliant" production values. I love it. Enjoy.
Dave

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Hi Dave, it is one I am certainly thinking on, however I feel Boardwalk Empire will be my next purchase...should last long enough to get me through the usual tripe and dross dished out to us Brits come the not too far off 'silly season'.
That said, I doubt anything could be anything quite like Deadwood in terms of overall quality of script and acting. That series is matchless :worship:
Regards,
Jay.

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
Correction to my previous post - the first four seasons are on DVD. I said episodes. D'oh!
I also watched and own Deadwood on DVD and I think you also enjoy the script quality and acting on Vikings. It is a limited run of episodes (10) per season series allowing them really concentrate on production quality. Every bit the equal of Deadwood IMHO. But each to his own. Whatever you choose may you enjoy it!

aam79

Lurker
Nov 2, 2016
going to have to add this to my watch list. I just finished watching the Hell on Wheels series and it was really good. I jumped to watching a Netflix series Longmire it's modern day, but is set in a small Wyoming town and the main character is an old school cowboy.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
Longmire is an excellent show, realistic and more believable than most. His old Bronco gets dented up and remains that way, he gets in a fight and actually gets cut and bruised 8O Very good, worth watching.

Status
Not open for further replies.