PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
I'll add to the endorsements of Boardwalk Empire. The first 2 seasons were, IMO, some of the best television ever made. The entire series was great.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Jay:
Excellent suggestions abound on this thread.
"Sons of Anarchy." It's an excellent production and the later seasons will feel like a "Deadwood" revival. I understand SOA is very popular in the UK.
"Boardwalk Empire" is another favorite. The production values, characters and scripting will suck you in entirely. The main character, Steve Buscemi, worked as a fireman while he made his bones in the NYC acting arena. On 9/11 he made his way to his old firehouse and, IIRC, worked seven days or so days straight assisting his crew. Up until then, I'd always thought he was just another douche-bag Indie actor/friend of Adam Sandler. He had a short character arc on "The Sopranos" - another superb, multi-year HBO series you might enjoy - and directed several episodes as well.
Buscemi is a wispy thin guy. But shame on me for thinking that he was "just" another actor. This guy is best friend, ride the river material.
"Longmire" is one of my favorite shows. (I joined Netflix two seasons ago after A&E dropped it.) I hope you've watched "Peaky Blinders" on the BBC, Jay. I put that series right up there alongside "The Sopranos" and "Boardwalk Empire."
Finally, I'll second "The Vikings." It might not be historically accurate but it's certainly better than anything we've had to date on a group of bad-ass hombres who sailed up the Seine, sacked Paris and then settled various ports of call in North America.
Fnord

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Thanks Fnord, Longmire is a new one on me so I shall look into it. I'm pretty certain Boardwalk Empire is going to be my next purchase, as for one to follow that, well it's a toss-up twixt Vikings and SOA.
I did watch some Peaky Blinders and to be honest didn't rate it that much. One to look out for however is Ripper Street, that is a cracking series.
Set in 19th c. London, it is basically a crime thriller involving a small group of dedicated policemen dealing with crimes typical to the period and location. Very well written and acted it was really popular over here when it first ran and rumour has it a new series is in the making.
The TV drama Ripper Street stars Matthew Macfadyen as a detective trying to maintain the law on the streets of Whitechapel in the wake of the Jack the Ripper murders. Following the notorious killings, H Division's Detective Inspector Edmund Reid (Macfadyen), aided by the hard-boiled Sergeant Bennett Drake (Jerome Flynn) and American forensics expert Captain Homer Jackson (Adam Rothenberg), has his hands full trying to keep the streets safe from others only too willing to fill the void.
Well worth a look!
Regards,
Jay.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I will second Longmire and Boardwalk Empire. Both great series. If you're a reader, I recommend the Longmire book series by Craig Johnson as well.

curl

Apr 29, 2014
The Longmire books are very good, but there are significant differences between the books and the TV show.
The book version of Sheriff Longmire has a sense of humor that the TV show doesn't convey.

The book version of Deputy Vic Moretti has a dirty mouth and is a little tougher than portrayed on the TV show, but just as hot.

The book version of Henry Standing Bear is a bad ass, a big bad ass; Lou Diamond Phillips doesn't do the character justice.

Otherwise, the TV shows mostly follow the same plot lines as the books.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Wahay...my Boardwalk Empire discs arrived today!
Thanks for the suggestion guys, I'm sure it will live up to the hype.
A question, the star of the show is a guy called Steve Buscemi who I'm pretty sure played a minor role in one of the El Mariachi trilogy of films. Is this correct?
Regards,
Jay.

mackeson

Mar 29, 2016
Steve Buscemi is one of the simultaneously funniest looking and most nuanced actors working today

Status
Not open for further replies.