Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
Timothy Olyphant's series, "Justified
Another must see series.. "Ya Make Me Pull, I'll Put Ya Down" .

kiel

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2016
Even though the series ended abruptly, it still remains as one of my favorite T.V. shows of all time. HBO really revolutionized television with their early series: The Wire, Deadwood, and The Sopranos(never watched this one though). These shows were able to take their time and naturly develop characters. Having characters that people can relate to/understand is key to a great story. Hollywood has been failing to do this for such a long time. I can't remember the last time Hollywood had an unforgetable or even quotable character.
Enjoy Deadwood!...whenever it arrives

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Eureka! My set finally arrived. I shall put the kettle on, load up a bowl of Erinmore Plug and settle down to watch the first three episodes.
I just hope it's as good as I remember those few episodes I did watch some years ago though by all accounts here I'm sure I'm in for a treat :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Booyah!
Good on you, Jay!
I hope you have a great weekend, in part, courtesy of your North American cousins.
Beware of poker hands holding Aces & Eights, Dan Dortity's knife and Mr. Wu's pigs. And a double thank you for loaning us U.K. national treasure, Ian McShane, to play one of Deadwood's baddest of bad men.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back."
Cheers,
Fnord

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Nice one Fnord :puffy:
I actually watched the first three episodes back to back and thoroughly enjoyed them. One line from the first episode quite tickled me...
Matey to Al Swearengen: "I wouldn't trust you as far as I could throw you but I love the way you lie".
Ian McShane does indeed shine as his character but I think all the acting is top notch as is the scenery and location.
One thing puzzled me however...how come the main street is always awash with water and mud yet it never rains? Also when burying those who never made it to Mr. Wu's pigpen the soil was dust dry.
Disc two is in the machine ready to go later :puffy:
BTW when played through my Yamaha AV amp on surround sound (7 speakers) the audio is breathtaking and these are regular DVD discs and not Blueray!
Regards,
Jay.

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
how come the main street is always awash with water and mud yet it never rains?

horse piss?

I'm really not sure, but that is a great observation

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"it's easier to film wet streets than horrendously dusty streets."
That sounds a bit thin to me Ash. I put it down to artistic license: it looks better to hurl a chap into a mud puddle that a dust bath :puffy:
Out of interest, what is a 'square head' as the young orphaned girl is referred to. Anything to do with her Scandinavian (?) origins?
Regards,
Jay.

mackeson

Mar 29, 2016
what is a 'square head' as the young orphaned girl is referred to. Anything to do with her Scandinavian (?) origins?

Yes. Took me the better part of an episode to put that one together.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Out of interest, what is a 'square head' as the young orphaned girl is referred to. Anything to do with her Scandinavian (?) origins?
Yep. It's a 19th century epithet for people from both Scandinavia and Germany, based on a judgement of their cranial features.
That sounds a bit thin to me Ash. I put it down to artistic license: it looks better to hurl a chap into a mud puddle that a dust bath :puffy:
Ash has it correct. We often wet the streets or ground so that it looks better when filmed. By better I mean more texture and visual interest, and in the case of dirt, a darker color that looks better and is easier to capture. Add all that mud churned up by horses hooves, boots, wagon wheels, etc, and it helps keep the images from looking too spare. Also, it doesn't hurt that tossing someone in the street is made even more demeaning.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
A co-worker and close friend of mine named Dahlen is a square-headed Norwegian from North Dakota. It's a real thing.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
I think it is fair to call "Deadwood" Shakespearean.
Seriously.
The language is, of course, very rough in spots. But listen to the way people speak overall. Look at the structures of the story. Look at the way real figures of history (Bullock, Utter, Swearingen, Alma, Hearst, Jane and many others are all real people) are used in a drama about them that is deeply TRUE if not exactly always accurate.
I've watched the entire series twice and will watch it again.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Thanks for the details Sable, you cleared up those queries.
"I've watched the entire series twice and will watch it again."
Tslex, I couldn't agree more, it's an excellent series and to my mind up there with the Sherlock Holmes (Jeremy Brett version) boxed set I have in terms of quality viewing.
I'll be quite miffed when I get to the end of the set :crying:
Regards,
Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Now I'm already half way through the boxed set and thoroughly enjoying it, so much so I will be gutted when I finish it.
Can anyone recommend anything similar to watch next?
Not just any old junk but something with some historical accuracy and great story line would be most helpful.
Regards,
Jay.

mackeson

Mar 29, 2016
Jay,

I only watched a few episodes a couple years ago, but your thread reminded me of the series. I'm now most of the way through season 1 using my "On demand" service. Thanks for bringing it up. I'm thoroughly enjoying myself.

mackeson

Mar 29, 2016
Didn't Rome end abruptly too?

Nope. It took a couple of hundred years of bad leadership to finally weaken it enough that it could be sacked.
:rofl: :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.