PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
I reckon y'all know that you can send your standard Zippo inserts to the Zippo factory and ask to exchange them for pipe inserts. They've always sent me the standard inserts back also.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
All of my lighters are for display, except my Bics. I am not a fan of those zippo pipe inserts either. I don't even have a need to put my wick up so high. A regular Zippo works just fine. I am also not a fan of lighters that point the flams down into the bowl. I just prefer the reliability and ease of finding another Bic when mine does finally go out on me. Re-fueling and the wear and tear of being in my pocket, it just isn't worth it to me to maintain a lighter... for me. YMMV.

I will try to remember to take some pics when I get back home.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I love that arabesque Old Boy and have been thinking of picking one up for the past year or so, but never pulled the trigger.

All of my lighters are for display, except my Bics. I am not a fan of those zippo pipe inserts either. I don't even have a need to put my wick up so high. A regular Zippo works just fine. I am also not a fan of lighters that point the flams down into the bowl. I just prefer the reliability and ease of finding another Bic when mine does finally go out on me. Re-fueling and the wear and tear of being in my pocket, it just isn't worth it to me to maintain a lighter... for me. YMMV.

I will try to remember to take some pics when I get back home.

You ever have any issues with Bics damaging the rim of your pipes? I use Bics on some of my cheaper estate pipes that I really don't care much about, and have not had any issues, but have been hesitant to use a Bic on any of my nicer pipes due to concerns about charring the rim.

I have a couple of torch flame lighters for use on cigars, and they are so much better for cigars than a Bic or a match. However, I'm not yet totally sold on the utility of a refillable soft flame lighter for a pipe, though I do really like them and would like to try one out.

You ever have any issues with Bics damaging the rim of your pipes?
No, I hold the lighter sideways about half an inch above the bowl and just gently draw the heat down (not the flame) to light my pipes. After a few starting puffs, I usually have flames jumping up out of the bowl to meet the lighter, and a good even burn.

When I usually post this I get folks requesting a video. But, I am not sure why this doesn't work for everyone. If I had a way to post a video on here, I would gladly demonstrate. But, I never allow the flame to go into the bowl. I hope this helps. Give it a try, and let me know how that works for you.