PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Meerly John

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2021
Mid-USA
I'm preparing to send off 3 or 4 pipes to SP, and I'm hoping I can learn from any experiences ya'll might be kind enough to share. It's a tough decision because the motive is financial and I don't really dislike any of the pipes in question. I'm going to use credit to deepen my cellar on a couple things that need time in the jar: Haunted Bookshop and HH Latakia Flake. Going forward, I'm going to buy cobs and bottom dollar briars. My most expensive pipe, an IMP pictured below, is in question. Your opinions are welcome.

IMP.jpg

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
I've regretted a sale or two. But nothing I didn't couldn't get over- as in they weren't rare pipes I could never buy again. I just wanted them but didn't want to have to buy them again.
My take on how I collect pipes now is I'd rather have less, but nicer pipes. And use available funds for tobacco instead of lower end factory pipes like I used to. It's been a good pace for me. Got rid of alot of pipes and bulked up my cellar. Now i just buy one when money permits, and in the meantime budget for more frequent tobacco purchases.
Just my .02 .

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
If it has sentimental value, say inherited from a relative or gifted by an old friend, hang onto it as it's irreplaceable. Otherwise, pack the box and wait a few days, see if it's time. No rush.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I've only sold one pipe that wasn't getting love. To a mate who really wanted it. He reckons it's his best pipe.

I've gifted lots, with no or little regrets. Knowing they would likely be used more than if I had kept them.

The few pangs occur when there is a discussion of certain pipes on these Forums, and nostalgia kicks in. As in "I did have one of them - I wonder what it would be like to have a smoke in it now ?"

The reality - they would probably only be smoked once a year, if that.
So - few regrets.
Really

T-townrestore

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 10, 2021
Tacoma
I've only sold one pipe that wasn't getting love. To a mate who really wanted it. He reckons it's his best pipe.

I've gifted lots, with no or little regrets. Knowing they would likely be used more than if I had kept them.

The few pangs occur when there is a discussion of certain pipes on these Forums, and nostalgia kicks in. As in "I did have one of them - I wonder what it would be like to have a smoke in it now ?"

The reality - they would probably only be smoked once a year, if that.
So - few regrets.
Really
So true, I have pipes that I’ve cleaned up that just sit there, and I think to myself, “I’ll smoke that one next time.” Which I don’t. I even have a unused Peterson’s Sherlock Holmes that I bought just because it was a good deal, and it sits there waiting it’s turn.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
How bad does it have to be to deserve the trash?
Bad drilling, fallen out of favor, painful button, or just anything that I find annoying. If a pipe isn't gifted to me, made specifically for me, or made by one of my friends, it's just a tool to be used until it no longer interests me. They are just pipes after all.