Have to Admit I was Wrong, Got a Lighter ?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

WildTurkeySurprise

Can't Leave
Oct 23, 2020
Mt Juliet, TN
I posted my own grievances with pipe lighters a couple months back. Since then I found a sleeve for bic lighters with a hemp wick spool on the bottom and a feeder up the side: brand is Hemplight, $13ish for a pair on Amazon. Came with a ball of replacement wick. Great for a low temp flame, it’s super easy to reach the bottom of the bowl with it, and if you turn it just right in a light/moderate wind, it can actually stoke the wick’s flame instead of blowing it out. Combined with a bic’s ability to light every time, I’m set.

mikebjrtx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2012
Hurst TX
They said to bring it back if I had a problem.

Mine doesn’t appear to have a bleeder
Bleed it where you fill it.
Push the tube down slowly to burp any air trapped in the lighter.
If it squirts out liquid butane you're bleeding it too fast.
Careful because liquid butane can give you a freeze burn as it evaporates.

Effortlessdepths

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
Here’s my main lighters. A Zippo with a butane insert. A Zippo with a Pipe insert and a Bic

I guess I don’t see the downside. Replacement parts are a good thing, it’s not like you’re working on them more than once every six months at most.

Besides wooden matches are one use items. One.

But hey, do what works for you.

View attachment 83361
I love that pic lighter combo with the tools and belt clip, where did you get that?????? I've been searching for something like that for a long, long time. The tamper could be longer for deeper bowls, but I could probably modify it. Where did you get it?!?

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I love that pic lighter combo with the tools and belt clip, where did you get that?????? I've been searching for something like that for a long, long time. The tamper could be longer for deeper bowls, but I could probably modify it. Where did you get it?!?
I bought it on eBay it’s a Peterson pipe Tool. Not The Peterson, probably some dude name Fred Peterson who got his shit sued. Lol. I have a few and I love them.

Reactions: Effortlessdepths

Effortlessdepths

Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
So far so good with the Lotus. For me it was a good choice over disposable and Zippo. Plus, the "piezo" technology eliminated the need for flints and wicks.
I had the exact same Lotus and it after 6 months or maybe less, I had to click it a dozen times for it to light, showing that the ignition system fails after awhile. This seems to happen with all $15-30 pipe lighters. I have been on the quest to find the ultimate Swiss army knife pipe lighter for a while now, to no avail. I have a FlickWic hemp lighter that I really like, but no tools. To me, the tools have to include a long tamper for deep bowls, and a long pick for unclogging, and I can live without the scoop.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Effortlessdepths

Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
I posted my own grievances with pipe lighters a couple months back. Since then I found a sleeve for bic lighters with a hemp wick spool on the bottom and a feeder up the side: brand is Hemplight, $13ish for a pair on Amazon. Came with a ball of replacement wick. Great for a low temp flame, it’s super easy to reach the bottom of the bowl with it, and if you turn it just right in a light/moderate wind, it can actually stoke the wick’s flame instead of blowing it out. Combined with a bic’s ability to light every time, I’m set.
Be careful with your love of hemp wicks, you just might get flamed around here ;) try the FlicWick, it's better than the hemp light

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I had the exact same Lotus and it after 6 months or maybe less, I had to click it a dozen times for it to light, showing that the ignition system fails after awhile. This seems to happen with all $15-30 pipe lighters. I have been on the quest to find the ultimate Swiss army knife pipe lighter for a while now, to no avail. I have a FlickWic hemp lighter that I really like, but no tools. To me, the tools have to include a long tamper for deep bowls, and a long pick for unclogging, and I can live without the scoop.
I'll have to report back if the Lotus fails. Not saying you didn't, but they recommend using compressed air on the nozzel for cleaning. So far so good and much appreciate the ease of fill and use.

Leo

Might Stick Around
Jun 12, 2020
Seoul, South Korea
husky-h.tistory.com
Lotus lighter, it's a convenient.

In my experience, to me, the best lighter for pipe smoking is IM Corona.

Once I hit a flint, I can light it up as long as I want just by holding a lighter.

I don't have to keep pressing the gas lever to maintain the fire.

It doesn't even break. There's no need to repair it.

Once the gas is filled, it seems to burn 20 bowls. (maybe more)
It's easy to manage just by changing flints once a quarter,
and it's a zippo flint that I can buy at a nearby convenience store. It's convenient.

Charlie718

Mar 25, 2021
Bronx, New York
I fixed my Lotus lighter, it would seem the guy at the store created an air pocket. I used up all the fluid then purged the air out, lowered the flame control all the way down then I filled her up and then purged air again now that it had pressure, topped it off and it works like a charm now.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I fixed my Lotus lighter, it would seem the guy at the store created an air pocket. I used up all the fluid then purged the air out, lowered the flame control all the way down then I filled her up and then purged air again now that it had pressure, topped it off and it works like a charm now.
That’s excellent. Congratulations ??

I use the pin on those old pipe tools to purge and then refill.

Reactions: Charlie718