Have to Admit I was Wrong, Got a Lighter ?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I've tried over the years to use a BIC for camping and such. For me the flames proximity to my thumb makes it impractical, but I do allow it's cheap. That said, I rather have the type that can be filled than create more thrash with BIC lighters.

The point of the thread was not which lighter is best, but just that I had been wrong to discount their usefullness before.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I use the matches to get the pipe started and then the zippo for relights. One nice thing is a match doesn't get too hot if it takes a while to get it going it just shrinks until it burns your fingers.
Yes, the finger burning was getting old also.

I am sure if someone had a history with Zippos, using the pipe insert would be an easy transition.

However, I like what the local shop sold me and it has made smoking a pipe easier.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Too late to edit. Just wanted to mention the Lotus has a tamper and blade which folds up in the handle. So, two tools in one and less clutter.

To bleed the tank, just a small point to depress. To fill, insert and pump. Also, @ $29 for a permanent lighter with no need to replace flints, wicks, or handle fuel. I'm not here to sell these lighters, but it has really improved my enjoyment of smoking a pipe. I was getting a bit tired of lighting and disposing of so many matches...LOL!!

C

carolinasmokes

When I smoked in the house I loved kitchen matches for lighting my pipe, now that I smoke outdoors a lighter is more practicable. I usually use a BIC, to avoid burning fingers I turn the bowl sideways when lighting and draw the flame in, this seems to work pretty well for me. If your a BIC guy give it a try, practice makes perfect.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
When I smoked in the house I loved kitchen matches for lighting my pipe, now that I smoke outdoors a lighter is more practicable. I usually use a BIC, to avoid burning fingers I turn the bowl sideways when lighting and draw the flame in, this seems to work pretty well for me. If your a BIC guy give it a try, practice makes perfect.
Good way for me to spill my makings

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I've tried many, many different lighters. $19.95 to $60 including a Lotus at one point. Nothing lasted more than 6 months to a year until I bought a Pipemaster and then a Kiribi. I now have two of each, all have reliably provided thousands of lights. A Kiribi can be purchased for $85. Given the lifespan and being refillable, seems like the most economical choice.

I would add that switching to the higher quality, high altitude butane has been a good move. Lights more reliably, stays lit better.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
In somewhat of a random rotation (based on my mood meter) I have a couple Corona Old Boys, Xikar "Old Boy" clone, a couple Pipeliters, & coming soon a Dunhill Rollagas. Kitchen matches for when all else fails.