Have to Admit I was Wrong, Got a Lighter ?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Rossi Pipes
4 Fresh Henri Sorensen Pipes
6 Fresh Radice Pipes
119 Fresh Peterson Pipes
12 Fresh Claudio Cavicchi Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I have two Zippos — one with a pipe insert and one standard.

I prefer the standard to the pipe insert which I found to collect soot.

Both of these need flints so I’m at present happily using a bic. Guess what? I’m buying a pack of bics.

Zippos are great in the wind but — I don’t like to smoke in the wind. Bic has won me over.

Reactions: carolinasmokes

Charlie718

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2021
Bronx, New York
I use a bic mostly (for pot and tobacco pipes) and I never burn my fingers. I do tend to use matches at the half way point of a pipe because I can stick it in and get a more even light then drawing the flame into the pipe and only lighting the center.

LikeDadDid

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2021
Virginia Beach
Uh oh. I just looked at lighters on Smokingpipes. I was like a calf looking at a new gate. It's a hobby within a hobby. But I still have that issue with tasting the lighter fluid. Drat! Erm, I mean, thank the Lord!

• Haha
Reactions: Charlie718
Jan 27, 2020
Uh oh. I just looked at lighters on Smokingpipes. I was like a calf looking at a new gate. It's a hobby within a hobby. But I still have that issue with tasting the lighter fluid. Drat! Erm, I mean, thank the Lord!

The Lord created lighter fluid, along with tobacco and matches; we should never forget that.

Reactions: Latakia Dave
Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
As most hobbies go, less is more. Once you decide what's best for you, it really doesn't matter what I or someone else thinks you should do. Please note that I went throught 900 matches and cleanup. Match tips landed on two articles of clothing.

The lighter I mentioned earlier has improved my overall pipe experience. I do not taste the fuel, or if it is present, I don't notice. I use this brand's "highly refined" Butane which was $7 for 400ml.

I do appreciate your comments about tobacco and pipe acquisitions. I just use one tobacco type blend and buy pipes I like to look at. A mentor friend recommended Peterson and I got one. He was right, nice pipe.

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
For me, pretty much any way to produce fire for lighting my pipe will work. Zippo -
& Bics.... tend to be the most accessible for me, but matches, a friend’s more “exotic” lighter, a stick drawn from a campfire, a candle, or various other items..... all work fine for me. I tend to just see the “device” as simply the vehicle to get a flame to ignite the leaf itself. For me it is more about the “magic” the flame itself causes with the leaf. ?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I used a half-dozen soft lighters and they let me down. I grew disgusted with them. BICs were cheap and reliable. I used them for the last two years of smoking.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I wanted to use matches for several reasons, but the most important thing was flame temperature.

Yesterday I got a Lotus lighter locally and now I’ve discovered it produces a cooler than match smoke, better tasting, and less complicated.
Matches are complicated?:oops: Strike and light. What's complicated?

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
I wanted to use matches for several reasons, but the most important thing was flame temperature.

Yesterday I got a Lotus lighter locally and now I’ve discovered it produces a cooler than match smoke, better tasting, and less complicated.
You have to have quality matches if you're going to use sticks to light. I've found 90% of the ones I've tried are worthless for anything, much less lighting a pipe.

The best ones I've found are Cartwright kitchen matches. (I usually pick them up at Discount Drug Mart) A close second is Diamond matches.

Although I'll use just about any soft flame lighter, my favorite ignition method is still a trusty Zippo w/ a pipe insert.

Hope maybe that helps out. Happy smoking.

v/r,
Chris

Attachments

• 16242047141251352275852573891809.jpg
    16242047141251352275852573891809.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 1
Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
You have to have quality matches if you're going to use sticks to light. I've found 90% of the ones I've tried are worthless for anything, much less lighting a pipe.

The best ones I've found are Cartwright kitchen matches. (I usually pick them up at Discount Drug Mart) A close second is Diamond matches.

Although I'll use just about any soft flame lighter, my favorite ignition method is still a trusty Zippo w/ a pipe insert.

Hope maybe that helps out. Happy smoking.

v/r,
Chris
I use Diamond brand

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I guess match is fine for indoor smoke. And outdoor if wind isn't too strong. I still prefer Zippo. Bic is also an option, but it's not refillable. I'm sure there are other lighters that works just fine.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy