PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

RonB

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2021
Southeast Pennsylvania
Last time I tried it was a couple of years ago, but it tasted ashy and acrid to me, kinda cigarette-ish, not good.
Maybe it needs more perique, not sure.
I should probably re-visit it to see if anything has changed.
I agree with this. It has been a while since I've smoked it, though. I used to add about 50% VA and that made it better in my opinion.

uprightman

Might Stick Around
Aug 26, 2019
Central Pennsylvania
I have some and like I fine. The 2oz sample I had was from their bulk version and I’ve since added two tins to my cellar.

I typically used it to break in a new pipe, but have been leaning on Chatham Manor for that instead. I’ve got some Pegasus as well that I didn’t care for on my first go around.

I’m sure I’ll finish them eventually I don’t know if I will buy more as there are so many other blends to try out there.

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
I've always liked it, as I do most Runowski burley blends (I'm a burleyphile) . . . . I like Old Joe Krantz better (Runowski's clone of Haunted Bookshop, . . . . I've found that Pegasus fits that role a little better for me, . . . .
I too like Haunted Bookshop now. I couldn't say that 6 months ago. I've been moving from Aros and Latakia heavy (forward?) blends toward mostly Burleys and an occasional VA. I've been learning to puff slower and sip. For me, it's been similar to the change in flavor preference I experienced over time with coffee--moving from dark/french roast coffee to lighter roasted coffees. For a long time I only wanted lots of Latakia with a occastionial Aro. Just like I did in preferring dark/french roast coffee by far, over or against lighter roasted coffees (beans). I think my taste buds just got bored and wanted to branch to something else LOL :)

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
I like Old Joe Krantz better (Runowski's clone of Haunted Bookshop,
Wow! I did not realize B. Runowski made Old Joe Krantz as a clone of Haunted Bookshop! Cool!! I enjoy Haunted Bookshop but REALLY LIKE Old Joe Krantz. And I must mention that I LOVE Old Joe Krantz Blue label :)))
kindly
mike
ps--thanks for including this info. in your post!

Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
I too like Haunted Bookshop now. I couldn't say that 6 months ago. I've been moving from Aros and Latakia heavy (forward?) blends toward mostly Burleys and an occasional VA. I've been learning to puff slower and sip. For me, it's been similar to the change in flavor preference I experienced over time with coffee--moving from dark/french roast coffee to lighter roasted coffees. For a long time I only wanted lots of Latakia with a occastionial Aro. Just like I did in preferring dark/french roast coffee by far, over or against lighter roasted coffees (beans). I think my taste buds just got bored and wanted to branch to something else LOL :)
Looking for more nuanced flavors rather than slap you in the face flavors

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
Haunted bookshop was my favourite blend. ..until I did a match with whole leaf. I find it a bit thin now.

flavour wise though, when you can get it just on the cusp of going out, or in my case forget your are smoking all together while doing gardening etc, I found the perique interacted with the dark burley and red va to bring out a dark choc cherry flavour.
Your descriptions make this sound so appealing to me!! I'll have to try the whole leaf blending out (got some varieties sitting in the sealed bags right now just begging to be smoked :)))

Thanks so very much for posting this.
kindly
mike

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
I like pegasus, Chatham Manor, OJK, Kelly's Coin and C&D Burley Flake #2. I can't smoke a lot of Kelly's Coin or it will put me on my a$$.
Wow! Great post!! This may help me understand better why I'm sitting around puffing heavy burley blends or smoking while mowing and other chores and GET DIZZY and feeling a bit buzzed -- but that's not the right word (can't think of a better one right now, though).
thanks,
mike

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
Very one dimensional
Succinct, thank you. I think this is a good way to say what I'm experiencing and enjoying with these burley (forward? is this the word for "heavy"?) blends. My taste buds seem to seek out the flavor I get at first puff of these sorts of varieties and my mouth seems to savor the sensation (especially toward the back and outside areas in my mouth). Perhaps certain tasting areas respond more than others?
thanks for sharing, it helps me grasp what I'm experiencing better
mike

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
I am a big fan of Haunted bookshop. For those of you that say it taste like cigarettes.....it's uncased, natural tobacco. Of course it is going to have similarities. However, I think it tastes/smells nothing like cigarettes. I love the stuff

blackpowderpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
I like Haunted Bookshop. I find it is one of those blends that takes some getting used to. If I haven't smoked it in awhile, I find it a bit harsh due to the dry, woody burley and lack of sweetness. However, after smoking it for a day or two, it really starts to grow on me and I start to appreciate the nuances the blend has to offer. It is definitely one that I keep around and smoke a good bit of. Plus, as stated, if you need some nicotine it will definitely provide you with it.

RookieGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2021
Maryland
I like it. It's not my favorite, but I like it. I do have a soft spot (possibly in my head) for those heavy burley blends. However Mrs. Rookie absolutely loves the room note. That was the first blend she told me to smoke inside if I wanted. So it'll be something I keep on hand.

• Love
Status
Not open for further replies.