PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
I've always liked it, as I do most Runowski burley blends (I'm a burleyphile). It's a little 'unrefined', dry, and to some a little strong, but I like it as a sort of codger blend. It's easy to punch into a cob and light up, burns easy, and doesn't really require any attention, which I actually consider a 'quality' if you're someone that smokes a number of bowls somewhat mindlessly during the day, and besides the mechanics, I do enjoy the tobacco itself. I like Old Joe Krantz better (Runowski's clone of Haunted Bookshop, just a little stronger and spicier), but cannot smoke it all day like I can Haunted Bookshop. These days, though, I've found that Pegasus fits that role a little better for me, so I'm not sure I'll crack the next HB tin just yet. I guess I can't answer love it or hate it, I just like it.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I'm a burley guy and pretty much love every burley that C&D puts out. Even so Haunted Bookshop is only okay in my book. Obviously it's one of their big sellers and has a fan base but I think there are much more interesting C&D blends (albeit with less catchy titles). Adagio, Morley's Best, Crowley's Best, OJK, OJK Red, OJK White, Pegasus, Americana, the Burley Flake series are all superior burley blends to Haunted Bookshop for my money.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I'm a burley guy and pretty much love every burley that C&D puts out. Even so Haunted Bookshop is only okay in my book. Obviously it's one of their big sellers and has a fan base but I think there are much more interesting C&D blends (albeit with less catchy titles). Adagio, Morley's Best, Crowley's Best, OJK, OJK Red, OJK White, Pegasus, Americana, the Burley Flake series are all superior burley blends to Haunted Bookshop for my money.
What do you think of OJK Blue?

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Big thumbs up for OJK Red and Pegasus. OJK Red got me back into enjoying the combo of burley and latakia.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Truthfully Adagio is my favorite of them. The tin note smells of old cheese and dirty socks but don't let that stop you. It's a great blend.

Let me know what you think if you try it.
one of my favorites (Would buy in bulk if I only could) is Tuskeegee Airman and that's a wonderful delicious blend that smells like blue cheese stored in a dirty sock.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I quite like it, but to me it is sort of like “Old Joe Krantz Lite.” I prefer OJK by a smidge, but Haunted Bookshop is a great blend in my opinion.

For those that think these blends are harsh or ashy, the key to both of these blends is to smoke them extremely slowly. They are far more unforgiving than most other blends when it comes to cadence. Even if you think you’re a slow smoker, slow down more. You’ll be surprised at how much better these blends will respond to an ultra-slow cadence, and how much more flavor is actually there.

Many of C&D’s Burley/Perique blends have a funky catfish bait/old socks tin/jar aroma that can be off putting, but it’s kind of like some fine cheeses, they smell funky but taste great.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Haunted bookshop was my favourite blend. ..until I did a match with whole leaf. I find it a bit thin now.

flavour wise though, when you can get it just on the cusp of going out, or in my case forget your are smoking all together while doing gardening etc, I found the perique interacted with the dark burley and red va to bring out a dark choc cherry flavour.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I found the flavor lacking. Upon cracking the tin, it had a nasty, yeasty smell that did not agree with me, and I am someone who loves the yeasty nature of belgian beer. After jarring for almost a year, the yeasty smell is gone, but the flavor is still ho-hum. I'll (eventually) finish the tin, but I don't see future purchases of this blend.
Yep, yeasty is the word I as looking for too.

I tried OJK and Haunted Bookshop in the same week, and sold both tins after 4 bowls of OJK and 1 of HB, they had very little taste for me, and nowhere near what I consider high nicotine.

Status
Not open for further replies.