PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I've had it taste ashy or cigarette-ish in the past when I got it too hot.

Otherwise it has a sweet and nutty taste and the perique comes across as almost a somewhere between plum and molasses kind of taste. The retrohale is important on this.

My current jar does have almost 2 years on it though so I don't know if that makes a difference.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I found the flavor lacking. Upon cracking the tin, it had a nasty, yeasty smell that did not agree with me, and I am someone who loves the yeasty nature of belgian beer. After jarring for almost a year, the yeasty smell is gone, but the flavor is still ho-hum. I'll (eventually) finish the tin, but I don't see future purchases of this blend.

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
Mediocre at best due to lack of interesting flavor. If I was a nic junky I might smoke it occasionally just for the fix. I'm a person who smokes primarily for flavor and would much rather spend my limited pipe time smoking something I actually enjoy. Thumbs down for me.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Love it.
I enjoy the nutty Burley and the hint of perique. There is a sweetness that is hidden but when found, balances with the the earthy nature of the blend. Smoke it slow and you will be rewarded.
I tend to only smoke this during the spring and fall when it is cool out. It seems to come to life more for me

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Last time I tried it was a couple of years ago, but it tasted ashy and acrid to me, kinda cigarette-ish, not good.
Maybe it needs more perique, not sure.
I should probably re-visit it to see if anything has changed.
Years ago I smoked it regularly. Then some years back had the same experience with it you describe. So, dropped it then. Seemed fairly bland, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.