Has Sir Walter Raleigh Original Changed Recently?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
The STG version is delightful to my palate. I detect almost no differences from the Lane version. I’ve had much more of the STG version though to be fair since switching from cigarettes to pipes two years ago. In regard to the topping on the STG version it’s certainly still there right along with the mild burley flavor. This is especially true when I open a new tub as it’s so fresh and none of the topping has evaporated. I wonder if the seal on yours was compromised?

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
Southern U.S.A.
Interesting, I have always found the regular SWR to be very aromatic or heavily topped. The aromatic version is totally unsmokable for me.

Bah ha ha, I have found that they screw up anything that they touch. I try to avoid any of the blends coming out of there, myself. But, that may just be me.
Pipe smoking like life is full of contradictions. I don't like Danish pipes at all. I believe that the ones I've tried, and it's been quite a few, are made from uncured briar, and I can taste it. As to their tobacco most tend to be sweet aromatics that, along with their pipes, burn the tongue. That said, is weird what I probably smoke more Stokkebye English Oriental Supreme than any other blend. Go figure...! puffy

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Gotta love overstocked cigarette stores. Just picked up 10 pouches yesterday.

View attachment 163781
You got me thinking.

A local liquor store and smoke shop has some pipe tobacco pouches (like Prince Albert, Half and Half, Borkum Riff) along with RYO.

I think I saw some SWR last time, but only glanced since it was cheaper online. Time to investigate.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
There’s a thread somewhere on the forum of a SWR aficionado who had sampled tins or tubs dating back to the 1930s. He remarked on the taste consistency with minor changes only noticeable during the tobacco from the 1940s.

I didn’t realize SWR has changed hands. I hope it doesn’t change!
That was me, but I must correct your time line. I've smoked SWR from every decade of the 1940s until now, except for the Denmark version. The only differences I ever noticed was the WWII SWR was a little deeper in flavor, but it was the same flavor as all the other years.

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
I'd only had a pouch of SWR that was dated 2016, picked it up in a pinch last year and was fairly unenthused with it. It was a cube cut and had the aroma of old dry ketchup.

I picked up one of the new 7oz tins a month ago. It didn't seem to be cube cut and smelled very different. The smoke was fantastic, the anisette came through really well. Little whisps of brown sugar laced in and out. I've smoked it a handful of times since and had middling to equal experiences.

So if the recipe has changed it's seemingly, to my tastes anyway, a good tobacco none the less.

Bill Mac

Lurker
Jul 17, 2020
Michigan, USA
Interesting. I still have some SWR I purchased last year. I smoke different tobacco depending on my mood. Since i like the original and smoked it on and off for decades, I think I'll look around and see what I can find; USA or Denmark.

Maybe the change in country of origin is due to the government constantly trying to force us out of tobacco and lumping all smoking with cigarettes.

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
The STG version is delightful to my palate. I detect almost no differences from the Lane version. I’ve had much more of the STG version though to be fair since switching from cigarettes to pipes two years ago. In regard to the topping on the STG version it’s certainly still there right along with the mild burley flavor. This is especially true when I open a new tub as it’s so fresh and none of the topping has evaporated. I wonder if the seal on yours was compromised?
Are yours made in USA or Denmark? STG has owned Lane for awhile but recently switched production from US to Denmark. And closed the Lane plant in GA.

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
The closure of the Tucker, Georgia facility is expected to be completed by the end of 2020... Production will be transferred to the company’s facilities in Assens and Holstebro, Denmark and Santiago, Dominican Republic.

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
Can someone who has the new Made in Denmark SWR send JimInks a sample to review?
DM him first to make sure he's agreeable! That would be good info for all of us!

Reactions: JimInks

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Sorry for Off Topic, if anyone can let go of a couple of pouches, or a 7oz tin of the Georgia blend, or who has them online, please send me a PM. Thanks :)

P.S. It would be nice for Jim to review if he hasn’t.

Reactions: JimInks