Has Sir Walter Raleigh Original Changed Recently?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Tsuge Pipes
1 Fresh Clarin Clay Pipe
2 Fresh Former Pipes
36 Fresh Nørding Pipes
120 Fresh Peterson Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Andrew Womble

Lurker
Nov 17, 2020
Just bought my first 7oz tin of Sir Walter Raleigh original that was manufactured in Denmark. My previous 14 Oz tins were manufactured in Tucker, Georgia. The Denmark version seems like an almost completely different blend to me with the Burley looking much darker and a little more stringy than cubed cut. The flavor seems to be pure tobacco with no flavorings detected. Is it possible that STG screwed up a batch or have they brought back the original recipe that somehow changed over time? It's my understanding that STG generally stays true to the original recipe with the blends they take over so I'm curious to know if anyone else notices a difference.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'll be interested to read the responses on this thread. I have a 14 oz. tub of each, the original and the aromatic SWR, both STG blended, both still sealed. Maybe along with Granger, these are my favorite OTC tub blends, though they have gone entirely to the 7 oz. containers rather that the 14 oz. as near as I can tell. I think the price on 7 oz. is more marketable, more what the casual customer might buy to try.

Andrew Womble

Lurker
Nov 17, 2020
I'll be interested to read the responses on this thread. I have a 14 oz. tub of each, the original and the aromatic SWR, both STG blended, both still sealed. Maybe along with Granger, these are my favorite OTC tub blends, though they have gone entirely to the 7 oz. containers rather that the 14 oz. as near as I can tell. I think the price on 7 oz. is more marketable, more what the casual customer might buy to try.
The 14oz tubs I had also had the STG logo but I'm starting to think they didn't make any changes to the blend until they moved production to Denmark.

Reactions: kcghost

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Now you have an excuse to purchase a 7oz can. Purely for research that is
I suppose I could do that but don't see any reason to. The size of the can should not make any difference and I'm happy with what I have. Besides it cost more that way and I'm cheap. puffy

• Haha
Reactions: Ahi Ka

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I assumed the can size change coincided with the blend being produced in Denmark.
Yup, and a 7 oz can for the same price I paid for 14 oz last year. I have four 14 oz tubs on hand and I know of a store that has four 14 oz tubs on the shelf for 28 bucks a piece. I'm going to be purchasing those. Maybe @JimInks will do a review of the Danish version.

Reactions: Ahi Ka and JimInks

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Yup, and a 7 oz can for the same price I paid for 14 oz last year. I have four 14 oz tubs on hand and I know of a store that has four 14 oz tubs on the shelf for 28 bucks a piece. I'm going to be purchasing those. Maybe @JimInks will do a review of the Danish version.
I will if I have a chance, but I'm not currently buying tobacco.

Reactions: FurCoat

Smokebacca

Lurker
Aug 7, 2022
Texas
I sure hope it hasn't changed too much. Sir Walter Raleigh is one I smoke multiple time a week and I only have a few 14oz tubs left. I had no idea that the 7oz cans were produced in Denmark. Thanks for posting.

The flavor seems to be pure tobacco with no flavorings detected.
Interesting, I have always found the regular SWR to be very aromatic or heavily topped. The aromatic version is totally unsmokable for me.
It's my understanding that STG generally stays true to the original recipe
Bah ha ha, I have found that they screw up anything that they touch. I try to avoid any of the blends coming out of there, myself. But, that may just be me.