PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Let me see if I follow this.

If I show off my pipes I’m an arrogant douche.

If I don’t show off my pipes I’m an erudite iconoclast.

If someone figures out how much a pipe is worth I’m an arrogant bastard.

If I can prove I only smoke pipes that cost less that a Happy Meal I’m a man of the people.

These threads always amuse me, because I don’t give a flying fuck how much or little you make, I also don’t care if you smoke a cob or a super high end artisan, I care about seeing pipes.

I’ll truly never understand or underestimate man’s needs to measure his dick on on a public forum.

Anyway, here’s a 10 inch Meer.

View attachment 146327
Hahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!! Sounds about right. I love that meer.

aspiring_sage

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2021
West of the Twin Cities, MN
Uh oh. Now you've done it. You referred to this as a "hobby" so now you should be prepared for a chorus of people telling you it's not a hobby and it's just something they do.
My apologies to all on the forum: I’ve forgotten again that “hobby” is a curse word here, again. :eek:

For you smoking may be something else, something more; in my life it currently takes hobby status. puffy

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
When is comes to pipe purchases, i may be somewhat of a cheapskate... $100 has been my max per pipe for the last couple of years. I did, however, break this rule for the first time earlier this week. I just HAD to have that Savinelli Ottagono. :) :)
I don't feel that buying pipes under $100 is being a cheapskate. I purchased a couple of Molinas and a Chacom for under $50, good smokers. The most I've spent so far is close to $250...once.

The Savinelli Ottagono is a great looking pipe. Congrats.

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
Me too scloyd, I couldn't care less what tobaccos guys are smoking. I mean sure, it's relevant, but I prefer tobacco reviews for tobacco discussions.

Sure, Peck had some amazing pipes, and of course Harris posted the same picture of his Rads over and over and over, haha. But, it seemed like we had more pipe pride. More people were showing off new Eltangs, Dunhills, etc... It wasn't just the forum untouchables. Remember N8, npod, mrlowercase, etc... showing off their new nice pipes, etc... But, I think this current membership has sorta shamed the high end buyers into feeling "guilty" for showing off. This doesn't even make sense. If there is anywhere a guy can show off a nice pipe, it is here and maybe their pipe clubs.

It has also been said over and over that the cob guys have run off most of the Dunhill and higher end collectors. Maybe you guys don't remember the cob wars, ha ha, where I got the moniker of cob hater (of which I am not) where on each high end or Dunny post we'd get a handful of guys who would come on and say "get a cob, they smoke better" which is complete bullshit anyways. And, if that IS your opinion, then maybe hold your tongue. On a new pipe post, all we should hear is the celebration of someone's new pipe.

And, I think we all know who I am talking about here... things like bragging about never paying more than $60 for a new pipe (or whatever the unbelievably low price is). Sure, that's great, but leave that shit off of someone's new pipe post. It's not always about you.

But :::sigh::: maybe this is just the way of pipe forums. Lets celebrate the cheap. It's just the way it is, I guess. I'm not complaining, as much as just making a State of the Forum observation.

And, if anything, the forum has become more tolerant of the lower end. I think we have detracted the Peterson haters, somewhat. And, I guess we are getting the low down on 5 star Lees more often, ha ha. And, damn, the cobs runeth over.
+1.
Wow. You took the words straight from my brain and put them on paper (digital paper). I have also noticed this snobbery (snubbing high end instead of low end is all the same) under the guise of “sharing my opinion/experience” but really it is not and it is obvious to many here and tiresome to boot. “I have cobs because they are useful , are an American legend and smoke wonderfully but I tend to reach for other pipes more often.” This is an example of sharing a thought or opinion while at the same time celebrating corncobs without degrading comments. Or another example:
“I have Castellos. They are wonderful pipes that provide a cool dry smoke and look amazing but are too tight of a draw for me. Someday I will have them opened up but until then I just display them proudly and smoke other itallian brands”. However it is you want to say it you don’t have to continually shit on people to state your so called opinion. Unless of course you want to or just don’t know any better which is truly the way of forums where you have so many people from all over and all different ages.
I tried to say the same thing as you Cosmic but I fear it is not only redundant but not nearly as eloquent as your post. Nonetheless I have been wanting to say this for a long time.

BriarBrook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2022
Missouri
I don't feel that buying pipes under $100 is being a cheapskate. I purchased a couple of Molinas and a Chacom for under $50, good smokers. The most I've spent so far is close to $250...once.

thanks... it's supposed to show up today with my st. espresso... i will try to post pics. i don't think i will smoke it?

Reactions: scloyd

reloader

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Southern, NM
I love seeing everyone's pipes regardless of if they are expensive or not. Seeing a high end pipe that someone really loves makes me research the maker or shape and possibly purchase something similar or maybe a second from that maker. If there aren't as many of the high end pipes being posted now, I wish I had found this forum years ago so I could have enjoyed seeing those pipes.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I wish I had found this forum years ago so I could have enjoyed seeing those pipes.
Check out these past threads of fishnbanjo's (Sante - RIP) pipes. @jaytex1969 put in a lot of time and effort putting these threads together.

reloader

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Southern, NM
Check out these past threads of fishnbanjo's (Sante - RIP) pipes. @jaytex1969 put in a lot of time and effort putting these threads together.

Wow! Those pipes are amazing!

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State

I wouldn't call it "being a cheapskate", but I rarely see new pipes for under $100 that I would purchase. I've bought a few from new artisans, but their prices are now already over that price point. Part of it is that the only new pipes I 'understand' are Petersons and Savinellis, and I personally would have to go over $100 with either of those makers.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
My apologies to all on the forum: I’ve forgotten again that “hobby” is a curse word here, again. :eek:

For you smoking may be something else, something more; in my life it currently takes hobby status. puffy
It's a hobby, not a curse word, just some sort of existential challenge to a few here.

pauls456

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2020
Tucson, Arizona
Disparaging a freehand pipe (likening it to male anatomy) is exactly the reason I won't be showing any freehand pipes here. In the old days, people simply held their tongues if they didn't appreciate something that was of value to someone else. Or so I imagine.
As regards price, I don't see much difference between high end pipe snobbery and disdain for high end pipes. I've never even heard of a high end pipe snob, but I've heard plenty of criticism of high end pipes.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
It's a hobby, not a curse word, just some sort of existential challenge to a few here.

It's hard to put a defining word to what we do with pipes and tobacco - for me it's sometimes a hobby, an obsession, a habit or an addiction. Lighting my pipe is a habit. Categorizing over 400 pipes in a spreadsheet and trying to build a run of hallmarked 1900-20 pipes, or get every cool old Peterson I can find, HAS to be a 'hobby'. Having a cellar with more tobacco than I can ever smoke is an obsession. And I think snuffing might be turning into an addiction.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Disparaging a freehand pipe (likening it to male anatomy) is exactly the reason I won't be showing any freehand pipes here.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

8cWIZW7.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I admit to having a Ser Jacopo, a Ferndown and Caminetto (thanks to Forums members), a Nording Zebra hunting pipe, an Austrian Kemperling, and a few other somewhat higher end pipes. I thoroughly enjoy smoking them, though most of my ninety or so pipes are mid- or lower priced pipes. Plenty of cobs, a few moderately priced French pipes, two Rossi, and plenty of Savinelli and Petersons. Great smokes happen when they happen, usually not related to the price of the pipe I've chosen to pack that day. I do savor my six or eight American (U.S.) factory pipes, both for being cost effective, and just being unique.

Reactions: sandollars
I don’t see many digs at pipes being posted at any price point.
I may wish less of them looked like they had melted, or like sloppy seconds, outhouse refugees, victims of enraged beavers, roadkill, alien insemination, etc, but I would never be so gauche as to say anything…

Oh…damn…
Put up a nice Dunhill and see what happens. I guarantee at least 1 "dig" within the first 5 responses, Often from the same person. puffy