PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
Even if I won the lottery the only way I would spend that on a pipe is if my wife smoked pipes and I did something really bad I needed to make up for.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
A couple of you hit it right on the head; that pipe will not do anything , in the way of smoking, that other, less expensive, pipes cannot do. It does do something, entirely different that other pipes cannot for the person desiring such a signature piece. Owning such a pipe would satisfy an inner-desire that the others cannot, simply because it is desired. In other words: "If you have an itch, scratch it." For some, this pipe is exactly the item for that particular itch.
I believe Peck and some others understand and totally get this.
While I would not mortgage the house for such a pipe, neither would I hesitate to spend such a sum on a pipe that passed my tests. The drive to do so is purely self-satisfaction as no-one else would know I owned it. If someone did see they'd probably have no idea of the value.
All I can say is that it's a damned good thing that it's not a bent, bulldog or rhody. And, please, please do not take the time to point one out to me. I would have to fly to the pipe to eyeball and fondle it before making a bid. That'd push the cost to waaaay over $20,000.00. That cost might be pushing against the ceiling.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
+1 sablebrush.
While I understand wanting to own something that is unreasonably expensive or because it is the only one, I am just not wired that way. If I HAD to spend $18k on a tobacco related purchase? I'd upgrade my cabinet/cellar situation and build a smoking lounge in my basement.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
I'd spend $18K on a pre-war Martin or Gibson acoustic in good+ condition, or on a Leo Fender era pre-1965 Fender electric guitar in good+ condition, but not a pipe. Because I "collect" vintage guitars; I just happen to have a lot of pipes and tobacco. Different kind of collecting, different kind of passion.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
Well, I guess that's the kind of nonsense you come up with when you don't think that pipes should be made to actually smoke with, like Mr. Pfeifen Huber, the Director of Dunhill does. I wonder how many they will sell.

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
Unfortunately it was damaged by the postal service and there are a few chips on the box and one chip of lacquer missing on the pipe. All damages can be seen in the photographs.
18 Grand for a pipe AND it's damaged? Nah, man. Just No.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
And for an additional $80 you could get a similarly rendered fountain pen if you scroll to the bottom of the page. Now the deal makes sense.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
We have a gallery down the road that sells $10,000 -50,000 pieces of tin that have holes driven into them randomly with a screw driver, and they sell them like hot cakes.
+1
I've seen this many times with common similar items. I don't get it. For instance I was at a craft fair and this booth was selling some interesting light switch covers in all sorts of themes(cars/boats/farm equipment/kittens/dogs/etc) so people could coordinate with their design. They were charging $20 for a laminated cover. I went home and made my own for about $5.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Heck, just because I appreciate the company of pipe smokers here, I'm willing to let my lovely lacquered limited edition Mt Fuji pipe go for just $17,999.00.
Payment only accepted in gold bullion.
japanpipe_zps2df367cc.jpg

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Payment only accepted in gold bullion.
With the recent dip in silver prices, I added another 100 ounces to my stack.
So, if the Gold / Silver Ratio ever drops back down to the 30's I'll be calling you! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.