PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
So I decided to hell with a car, i can bike it everywhere and it's good exercise, and i bought this pipe instead. That was a good decision and a well thought out plan, right??
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dunhill-Namiki-Maki-E-Rakucho-Limited-Edition-Tobacco-Pipe-Kyusai-Yoshida/231295865408?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D25805%26meid%3D79c19af350d8406b86bdde04272cdcfc%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D10778%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D231301614785&rt=nc

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
Holy cow! I hope you get a lot of mileage and it doesn't turn out to be a lemon.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Since it's still for sale, I pitched an offer of $180.00. It's still pending - fingers crossed!

That is a really cool pipe.

We have a gallery down the road that sells $10,000 -50,000 pieces of tin that have holes driven into them randomly with a screw driver, and they sell them like hot cakes. Kids buy $500 tennis shoes at the mall, and they line up down the mall to buy them. There are toasters out there that make toast just like any other toaster for $1500. Have you ever seen a SkyMall catalog in an airplane?
I love it that we have people who spend this kind of money, just to be able to do it. I bought my car for $500, and I am wearing the same shoes that I bought three years ago. Pipes are the biggest purchase that I have made in over a decade, but I would have to pause before spending that much. It is pretty though.
Even as a jeweler, I keep getting told that my prices are way too low. And, if it weren't for my girlfriend handling the business part of what I do, I'd probably starve. I hate asking for money for what I do. But, it is awesome that there are those who can do this.

Did you get this part?

Story
Alfred Dunhill in a combined effort with Namiki released this limited edition design from its archives in 1999. Each pipe is hand crafted and decorated by a master Maki-e artist, requiring eight months to complete and involving over 150 individual processes.
An integral part of Japanese heritage, the craft of Maki-e lacquering was first perfected over 1,500 years ago. Urushi, which is sap from a Japanese lacquer tree, is first used to draw patterns on the surface of the pipe bowl. Powdered gold, silver, and colored pigments are then applied to the Urushi while it is wet.
The pipe features a Rakucho in flight, which is an ancient and mythical phoenix-like bird of uncertain origin. In Oriental philosophy, it symbolizes a peaceful atmosphere in harmony with the universal life-spirit.
The signed pipes are fitted with an 18kt gold engraved band, and are packaged in a lockable lacquered wooden presentation box.

bulldogbriar89

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2014
It is a beautiful pipe but I don't think I would drop that kind of money on it myself, but if that what make you happy good for you. Don't let the nay sayers bring you down

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Not my cuppa at all would rather have 3 others, a Bo Nordh and a Lars and Nanna Ivarsson, for that kind of money then the bucket list on pipes will have been achieve.

banjo

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
_____________________________________________ - Insert insanely large amount of sarcasm here with the nature and emotion of original post.
Cosmic, yeah i read it and thought it was a very cool piece of history and can respect it as such. $18,000 is worth it to someone who can appreciate it to that extent. That someone is definitely not this guy though. :lol:

Dec 24, 2012
Hey layinpipe. Nice pipe, and certainly unique. I wouldn't have an issue spending that kind of money on the right pipe if I came across it. Fine watches can run way more than that, and in my view usually don't compare to the artistry of a fine pipe (though admittedly you usually won't be lighting a watch on fire). To be honest, that one doesn't ring all my bells, so I would probably lean in a different direction in that price range, but all that matters is that you are happy with your purchase. Nice going.

Dec 24, 2012
I was apparently writing my post at the same time layinpipe was writing the one above it. So I take it you didn't buy this one after all? What changed your mind? I think you made the right call.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
My bank account changed my mind, lol. I think it is a beautiful piece of artwork that i probably wouldn't smoke if i did have the funds to buy. Like i said, i can respect the artistry and time spent to produce the pipe, but i would never cough up that much dough for a pipe. To each their own though, and i would definitely say more power to anyone who could and would make a purchase like that. Value is in the eye of the beholder.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
If I had $18.000 to blow I would buy new shoes for ya cosmic.

Other than that, I like the case much more than the pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I know, I know, it's just my nature to point out that a $95 Savenelli, a $70 Chacom, and a $30 Dr. Grabow do

an awfully good job of exactly the same thing. For perspective, for folks who unlock the money genii, selling

their software firm and banking proceeds in the Cayman Islands, etc., there is a continual job where to direct

the flood of money, and for these folks, the $18K pipe would be almost a Seven-Eleven purchase overall. So

you have money stress whether you have too little or too much. I don't covet that pipe, but other super expensive

briars might ring my chimes.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Even if I was rich as hell I still wouldn't buy an $18k pipe just out of principal. It looks nice but doesn't do anything a Pete or Sav can't do for $100.

Status
Not open for further replies.