PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 27, 2020
How would it effect ordering tobacco from overseas? I would routinely order snuff from the UK without issue, actually it’s the way most in the US buys it.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
How would it effect ordering tobacco from overseas? I would routinely order snuff from the UK without issue, actually it’s the way most in the US buys it.
Overseas stores would probably refuse to ship to American addresses. They might even use geographical blocks to prevent your browser to even opening their pages.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
You haven’t been able to directly order tobacco from the UK for quite some time.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA

That may continue to work. It’s how the laws in Canada ended up working out. We can import pipe tobacco through the mail from outside of the country, but we can’t get tobacco shipped across provincial borders. It’s bizarre.

Reactions: BROBS

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I think I figured out a way around this utilizing the notion of a "personal shopper." A store could continue to list product available "in the store" on a website along with contact info for available "personal shoppers." You then send a money order made out in the name of the shopper with your purchase requests. The shopper then makes a purchase of it "in the store" and personally mails it to you. No different than asking a friend living nearby to go to a shop and pick you up something.

Reactions: Bengel and Elric
Jan 27, 2020
If it were to pass the senate generally how quickly does such legislation get enforced? And as the one poster here commented do members agree that the flavored tobacco provision will be applied broadly to pipe tobacco?

Oct 7, 2016
Overseas stores would probably refuse to ship to American addresses. They might even use geographical blocks to prevent your browser to even opening their pages.
Maybe. But I understand Estervals ships to Washington state, at least as of about a year ago from a friend in Bellingham. He speaks German and talked with them on the phone. Their position is that the US and Germany have a trade agreement, and they comply with that. I read the bill that passed the House and saw nothing that would change their status. But who knows? I suspect the Danish Pipe Shop could take the same position as Estervals as far as the US is concerned, but they have chosen to just not ship tobacco to anywhere outside Denmark.

Jan 27, 2020
Maybe. But I understand Estervals ships to Washington state, at least as of about a year ago from a friend in Bellingham. He speaks German and talked with them on the phone. Their position is that the US and Germany have a trade agreement, and they comply with that. I read the bill that passed the House and saw nothing that would change their status. But who knows? I suspect the Danish Pipe Shop could take the same position as Estervals as far as the US is concerned, but they have chosen to just not ship tobacco to anywhere outside Denmark.

I imagine the shops that don’t ship to the US do it avoid chargebacks that might occur if customs were to seize the parcel.

Reactions: BROBS and seanv
Jan 27, 2020
I just checked out Estervals site for the first time, the web design is interesting to say the least. Certainly a lot to look at without even looking at the tobacco!

Reactions: 3rdguy
Status
Not open for further replies.