PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
Although there is an exception for cigars, I notice that the exception only applies to cigars priced $12 or more (after "discounts or coupons"), with an annual increase tied to the Consumer Price Index. I know nothing about cigar quality or what the impact of the loss of online sales of <$12 cigars would be.

Oct 7, 2016
I think William D. Gairdner needs to make a correction to The Great Divide: anti-tobacco measures is the one issue where both the left and the right seem to be in full agreement.

Who's already hitting SPC in a panick?
This Bill is a perfect opportunity for “bipartisan support” to work against a demonized industry Just as Congress leaves town and the consultant class is telling Trump he needs to do something to help with suburban mothers voting in swing states. And if Congress doesn’t act this year, many state legislatures will. Already, the list of states where at least P&C won’t ship to has grown from Washington state only just a few years to now include Utah, South Dakota, and Maryland.

For all the fear, uncertainty and doubt that has been sown by the intervention of the FDA, I firmly believe that if someone were to write, say in 2023 or so, a history of pipe tobacco availability, they would have to conclude that requirements to limit sales to face to face transactions had a much larger impact than anything the FDA did.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I'm enjoying my favorites bought online for now as I see a lot of P.A. in my future-hopefully can at least find that @ the local smoke shop. Grocers stopped selling pipe tobacco around here some years ago.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Given the bill is 99% sponsored by Democrats only I don't believe it will make it out of the Senate. I doubt Mitch McConnell will bring it up for a vote anytime soon, if ever.
I guess it all depends on the current mood then. Now that the circus is over, maybe they wanna go through the charade of bridging the gap and being friends again.

Reactions: perdurabo

canadianpuffer

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2017
I saw somewhere online that cheap roll your own cigarette tobacco is branded as pipe tobacco as a loop hole. I’m assuming not exempting pipe tobacco is to close this.

Reactions: litup and BROBS

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
The days of Congress agreeing anything are past and remote and bipartisanship is an antiquated term in the current era.

Besides, this issue is magnitudes less urgent than other topics. If I’m not mistaken there’s a new food fight over how much money to spend on corona virus protocols and an election to obsess over, etc.

Panic is premature IMHO.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Not to say it isn’t coming, mind. It’s definitely time to cellar up. I just don’t think this is the bill that kills tobacco. That’s coming soon to a theater near you, though.

Reactions: smokeyweb

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Now that the circus is over, maybe they wanna go through the charade of bridging the gap and being friends again.

Not to say it isn’t coming, mind. It’s definitely time to cellar up. I just don’t think this is the bill that kills tobacco. That’s coming soon to a theater near you, though.

Circus and theater are good words.

Theater because the vast majority of what goes on publicly in D.C. is theater...a show for the masses.

And circus because most of the performers are clowns and freaks.

There is still plenty of "bipartisanship" when it comes to the truly significant issues. It's all calculated in advance and certain performers are allowed to take certain positions on things in order to keep up appearances.

But nothing that really matters is left to chance. And whenever it's necessary, most of those clowns can be controlled by all the dirt their masters have on them.

Does this particular tobacco bill really matter? I wouldn't think so in the bigger scheme of things...but eventually it will happen.

For the time being at least it is encouraging to know it's actually not a bipartisan thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.