PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Jeez man, we all need to know the essentials of wizard robery, or else we could end up looking like a poser.
giphy.gif

Estoval looks more like Gregory Peck in the re-make of Cape Fear.

cape-fear-year-1991-usa-director-martin-scorsese-gregory-peck-R2G1BG.jpg

Last edited:

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
Can't remember who, but someone said something about the President signing anything that crosses his desk.

Fortunately, the White House Administration opposes this bill -- which is encouraging, were it to pass the Senate:

It also includes the bill’s approach to remote retail sales. At this time, problems surrounding such sales should be addressed through the application of age verification technologies rather than, as this bill would do, prohibiting such sales entirely.

Of course, prohibiting ALL online sales would be the nail in the coffin for me since I have no brick & mortars near where I live (northern Wisconsin: I guess I'd have to make semi-annual pilgrimages to Uhle's). Maybe it would push me to start my own Olde Tobacco Shoppe. Or start buying -- and growing! -- whole leaf tobacco.

Read the full WH statement here: https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/SAP_HR-2339.pdf

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
Had a box seized in the UK in November but this time I didn't get it back. :mad:

Someone in Customs over there is smoking some good shit!

• Wow
Reactions: BROBS
Jan 27, 2020
If this bill makes it into law I predict some members will be saving their dottle like potheads do with shake.

Worknman

Sep 23, 2019
In light if recent events I wonder if this bill is dead for the foreseeable future. Not only will Congress be preoccupied with more important matters but I suspect any bill that might kill jobs will be off the table for a long time to come. Then again I'm probably giving Congress more credit than it deserves for its ability to focus on things that actually matter.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
In light if recent events I wonder if this bill is dead for the foreseeable future. Not only will Congress be preoccupied with more important matters but I suspect any bill that might kill jobs will be off the table for a long time to come. Then again I'm probably giving Congress more credit than it deserves for its ability to focus on things that actually matter.
It might be sneaked in in the next relief bill, whilst the attention is focused elsewhere.

As for saving jobs, not every politico might want to do that. It all depends how needy and desperate they want the people to be based on whatever agendas they're working on.

Bottom line: don't rest on your laurels nor expect reprieve, but get proactively cellaring if you've the means.

Reactions: Bowie

Tommy Boy

Mar 28, 2020
Michigan
Well lets see what the good people at smoking pipes can do. See if they can make a list or let us search by blend dates.Screenshot_20200413-161213.jpgScreenshot_20200413-162344.jpgScreenshot_20200413-162156.jpgScreenshot_20200413-163004.jpg

Reactions: Bowie

smokey789

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2020
Western Pennsylvania
Once in a while I stop at a bar that has smoking. No one I can remember smokes a pipe. However, a few guys have come in with a cigar. Most times, the patrons move away from them. Most pipe tobacco is not offensive to others.

This legislation is saddening. Those with the most money always seem to get a pass. This is freedom, not liberty. Freedom is given. Liberty is inherent. Our liberties have been replaced with freedom.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
When people are saying things in that thread like "All the Dunhill/Peterson blends will be gone", do they just mean from the US market or gone gone?
Technically US market only, but it's possible that loss of a market could effect the overall supply if it doesn't make financial sense to continue to manufacture a product for a reduced customer base. Or, it's possible that the manufacturer will spend the requisite money and time to meet the FDA regulations and keep the products available in the market if it makes financial sense to do so.

Eaglesgift

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2020
Chiang Mai
Technically US market only, but it's possible that loss of a market could effect the overall supply if it doesn't make financial sense to continue to manufacture a product for a reduced customer base. Or, it's possible that the manufacturer will spend the requisite money and time to meet the FDA regulations and keep the products available in the market if it makes financial sense to do so.
Thank you - that's what I was assuming but I wasn't sure, Whether they continue to be available elsewhere will probably depend on how big a percentage of their sales are to the US market I guess. Either way, I did the figures and with prices in Thailand, it doesn't make sense for a new pipe smoker like me to try to lay enough in before it all happens. Nothing's available in bulk here and it would cost me over $30,000 to acquire a supply for the next 20 years or so, which isn't going to happen!

Status
Not open for further replies.