PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
Man, I don’t know what I’m gonna do if online pipe tobacco sales really get shit canned. The nearest B&M with any real selection is like 1.5 hrs away and pretty darn expensive. Bummed I didn’t get into pipe smoking sooner and give myself more time to cellar.

I feel the same way and I don't have to drive that far to get to my local B&M. However, keep in mind, this thing still hasn't passed and if it ultimately does there should be a window of time before it takes effect ...there is still time to stock up! I figure a pound of decent bulk is ~25-40 bucks (total guesstimate) ...even grabbing a pound of bulk every few weeks/once a month could lead you to a decent cellar by the time this crap would be rolled out.

Optimism aside, this really sucks.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Chances are I have enough for 3 lifetimes as it is, but I sure would hate to miss out on some of the newer stuff that will either not exist in the first place, or become inaccessible as a result. Can't believe that pipe tobacco wouldn't ride the same exemption wave as "premium" cigars. Just silliness.
I would expect them to zone in on pipe tobacco from the get go, since it's 'flavoured'. :rolleyes:

Reactions: BROBS

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I would expect them to zone in on pipe tobacco from the get go, since it's 'flavoured'. :rolleyes:

Right, I just meant if they are using the "kids never buy these" logic to get premium cigars off the hook I would think the same logic would apply to pipe tobacco. Never seen a minor with a Dunhill hanging out of their mouth, unless of course it is filled with reefer. I mean hell, pipe tobacco use is so rare I've never even seen a legit ADULT with a pipe in the wild! (except a homeless guy once).

Man, I don’t know what I’m gonna do if online pipe tobacco sales really get shit canned. The nearest B&M with any real selection is like 1.5 hrs away and pretty darn expensive. Bummed I didn’t get into pipe smoking sooner and give myself more time to cellar.

Well, I learned from a forum member (Thanks Jesse) . that our local B&Ms want our business. Go in and meet them. Ask them to order you what you want. I was delightfully surprised they were more than willing to try and get what I wanted as long as it was within their power.

Currently, it's difficult for the small B&Ms to get the "good stuff" because of the commitments they have to make with the distributors regarding quantity and frequency. I firmly believe this will change or maybe the SP.Coms of the world will become the suppliers of smaller quantities (at higher prices) to the smaller B&Ms and drop the minimum commitments.

Everyone wants to stay in business so they will work it out, for sure. Free Enterprise is alive and well for now. Just need to work on new vehicles to drive it...

Another sure thing is Pipe tobacco will never be cheaper than it is right now.

Just saying.... puffy

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Right, I just meant if they are using the "kids never buy these" logic to get premium cigars off the hook I would think the same logic would apply to pipe tobacco. Never seen a minor with a Dunhill hanging out of their mouth, unless of course it is filled with reefer. I mean hell, pipe tobacco use is so rare I've never even seen a legit ADULT with a pipe in the wild! (except a homeless guy once).
agreed.. I saw an old guy riding a motorcycle through the Badlands who stopped and appeared to be smoking a grabow or some other such pipe. That's the most I've seen in years.

Reactions: Kozeman and Bowie
Oct 7, 2016
Support your local B&M's
Nope, not as long as they carry anything distributed by J.C. Newman (Fuentes, Brick House, Diamond Crown, etc.). As long as “premium Cigars” are exempted, Drew Newman is ok with this. He says , as quoted above,
“ Although it is not perfect, this is a historic bill and a huge step forward for the premium cigar industry,” said Drew Newman, general counsel of J.C. Newman Cigar Co., America’s oldest family-owned premium cigar company. “For the first time, the U.S. House of Representatives has recognized that premium cigars are unique, are not used by children, and should be exempt from unnecessary regulation.”

Newman is just fine with throwing pipe smokers in the ditch. So are brick and mortars. F**k ‘em.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
the problem is all these other tobaccos that are flavored that aren't pipe tobacco. Hookah shisha is one of them that is heavily flavored and inhaled.

Reactions: perdurabo
Nope, not as long as they carry anything distributed by J.C. Newman (Fuentes, Brick House, Diamond Crown, etc.). As long as “premium Cigars” are exempted, Drew Newman is ok with this. He says , as quoted above,
“ Although it is not perfect, this is a historic bill and a huge step forward for the premium cigar industry,” said Drew Newman, general counsel of J.C. Newman Cigar Co., America’s oldest family-owned premium cigar company. “For the first time, the U.S. House of Representatives has recognized that premium cigars are unique, are not used by children, and should be exempt from unnecessary regulation.”

Newman is just fine with throwing pipe smokers in the ditch. So are brick and mortars. F**k ‘em.

Isn't this thought process kind of like taking poison and expecting someone else to die?

Or perhaps your cellar is set as is mine but I will still want to add to it if something catches my eye and I have the means to purchase it. = Local shop...

I got a S. Bang I might someday swap for a tin of Black Frigate if it comes down to it... ?‍☠️

• Wow
Reactions: BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.