PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
I have seen people on crack and other “enhancements” with exit holes in their backs the size of apples that kept on coming. This is by far the exception. 99.9% will stop once hit by most any caliber. Trust me, it hurts. Contrary to what experts will tell you, a lowly .22 will change the minds of almost all attackers. Same goes for bird shot at closer ranges.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I have seen people on crack and other “enhancements” with exit holes in their backs the size of apples that kept on coming. This is by far the exception. 99.9% will stop once hit by most any caliber. Trust me, it hurts. Contrary to what experts will tell you, a lowly .22 will change the minds of almost all attackers. Same goes for bird shot at closer ranges.
It’s fine I’ll stick with buckshot or a higher caliber. ?

RookieGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2021
Maryland
4.5 years ago, I had a Marlin Youth Model. 22 (that was a blast going after rabbit and squirrel with) , Winchester bolt action .22 with octagonal barrel and 8x scope (that was a nail driver!), Mossberg bolt action shotgun in 16 gage (payment for a side job from back when you could find 16ga shells), 32 snubnose for Mrs. Rookie's nightstand (we lived in Baltimore City at the time), and my pride and joy.
She was a '53 Winchester Model 12 16 gage. My great grandfather gave it to my grandfather when his first daughter was born. Then my father when my sister was born recieved it. It became mine three months after the birth of my daughter. Weighed a ton being all walnut and blued steel. But the thing never failed to go boom, and always every time went where I pointed it (although I've missed a few times). And 16 gage is good enough to hunt anything in North America.

Sadly, all those were lost in a house fire. I'm starting over slowly with a Stoeger 12 gage Longfowlet o/u. Next comes the 12ga pump gun, then Mrs. Rookie's nightstand piece*. Rifles, as fun as they are, aren't practical for the present.

*I'm always open to lively discussions on which pump or nightstand revolver is "best".

Reactions: ChippewaAce

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Been cycling through pistols the last two or three years looking for "the one". Finally found it, the Walther P99. Had a PPQ and shot it very well, but ended up wanting a DA/SA gun. I like the P99 so much that I just bought a second one. I'm afraid that Walther might discontinue the P99 in the near future, so not taking any chances. Also shoot a Walther PPS M2 and an M&P 2.0 Compact 3.6". So many great, reliable pistols to choose from these days it's an embarrassment of riches.

Derby

Can't Leave
Dec 29, 2020
4.5 years ago, I had a Marlin Youth Model. 22 (that was a blast going after rabbit and squirrel with) , Winchester bolt action .22 with octagonal barrel and 8x scope (that was a nail driver!), Mossberg bolt action shotgun in 16 gage (payment for a side job from back when you could find 16ga shells), 32 snubnose for Mrs. Rookie's nightstand (we lived in Baltimore City at the time), and my pride and joy.
She was a '53 Winchester Model 12 16 gage. My great grandfather gave it to my grandfather when his first daughter was born. Then my father when my sister was born recieved it. It became mine three months after the birth of my daughter. Weighed a ton being all walnut and blued steel. But the thing never failed to go boom, and always every time went where I pointed it (although I've missed a few times). And 16 gage is good enough to hunt anything in North America.

Sadly, all those were lost in a house fire. I'm starting over slowly with a Stoeger 12 gage Longfowlet o/u. Next comes the 12ga pump gun, then Mrs. Rookie's nightstand piece*. Rifles, as fun as they are, aren't practical for the present.

*I'm always open to lively discussions on which pump or nightstand revolver is "best".
Ruger has revolvers in 327 magnum. These also fire 32 H and R magnum and 32 long. All are effective self defense rounds. The 327 mag has a very sharp recoil making it difficult to quickly come back on target . The 327 mag is a high velocity round and over penetration must be considered.
The 32 H and R magnum is more manageable and if you research the ballistics I think you’ll find them impressive. It’s a good bedstand choice.

Reactions: BROBS

Peter Peachfuzz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2019
Central Ohio
And penetration in human flesh an inch or two. You’ll create a big scab, that’s for sure.

not saying it would feel pleasant. But may not stop the most motivated attacker.
Use to be amazed now simply amused.. hoping you are just trolling and now really that stupid.

elessar

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2019
Taurus Judge 410 revolver. If there is a better nightstand gun I havent found it. Also, worthless for just about anything else in my opinion and yes I have one. The home defense 410 rounds are brutal or you could load every other chamber with 45LC. Heavy enough trigger to avoid, hopefully, accidental discharge. Otherwise point and pull.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Taurus Judge 410 revolver. If there is a better nightstand gun I havent found it. Also, worthless for just about anything else in my opinion and yes I have one. The home defense 410 rounds are brutal or you could load every other chamber with 45LC. Heavy enough trigger to avoid, hopefully, accidental discharge. Otherwise point and pull.

Beretta A400 with mag extension to hold seven 3.5” magnum buckshot loads.

Get a bigger nightstand.

Reactions: elessar
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I’m not digging things out and taking pictures, but I do enjoy hunting and shooting, and hand loading, and have a few projectile delivery devices of various pew factor. A few handguns (.45 down to .22), a few rifles, and a few shotguns. Not a huge collection, but I have the basics covered. I love to shoot, and I do get the opportunity to occasionally take some courses, too, since I am reserve LE. If any of you ever want to bruise your ego, but learn a lot, the tactical handgun operator’s course from CSAT in Nacogdoches, TX is awesome. Seriously though, check your ego at the door if you do a course, because their standards are HARD. It is open to civilians, but I think mil and LE get first priority when filling classes. They sent a trainer out to us, and even the top shooters on the SWAT teams were having a hard time making the standards. It is hella fun and good training though. I think I shot 3 out of the 7 standards, which sounds bad, but the very best shooter out there only made 5, and he’s damn gun god master marksman wizard. Did I say it’s a hard course? ?
I did get an email last week that the “gubment” just cashed my $200. Hopefully I’ll be able to hunt this deer season without my ears ringing. Got a Nomad 30 in jail. Looking forward to playing with loading subsonics. Never done that before.

Jul 3, 2020
Scottish Borders
Sadly no handguns here in UK, it’s even worse in Scotland you need a license for an air gun ? I have a .22 BSA Martini with a quick detachable Ogee of Berlin scope on it. A Tikka T3 .223 with a Swarovski Habicht 8x56 scope and a sporterised Rigby style Mauser .243 Meopta 7x50 scope. I like to use a K31 to harvest the first Roebuck of the season. Various shotguns from 12 bore down to 20.
Happy smokes
Ettrick puffer
CE2E76EE-5AEF-4148-A34C-F7847542BCC4.jpeg

RookieGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2021
Maryland
I've played with the Taurus Judge before. That's a great nightstand gun for one of us. Mrs. Rookie is, well, not scared of recoil, but would certainly reach past the Taurus for a .22. Which is why she had the .32 revolver.

She and I figured out pretty quickly in her hands, the very best bump- in- the- night piece is the one she's most familiar and comfortable with. A properly sighted .32 she can be disoriented and still put 4/5 in dead center under 8 seconds. So her .32 plus a Mossberg 500 (or whichever 20ga pump I get my grubby mitts on) will keep her and the kids safe.

And, for whatever it's worth, the biggest reason I use a shotgun as my general purpose tool is some of the restrictive and sometimes convoluted gun laws. It gets very easy to explain why I have a shotgun in the same house there's taxidermied ducks and pheasant, photos of my standing over various game, enough orange jackets and hats, and a couple skeet shooting trophies.

Reactions: boatme99

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Sadly no handguns here in UK, it’s even worse in Scotland you need a license for an air gun ? I have a .22 BSA Martini with a quick detachable Ogee of Berlin scope on it. A Tikka T3 .223 with a Swarovski Habicht 8x56 scope and a sporterised Rigby style Mauser .243 Meopta 7x50 scope. I like to use a K31 to harvest the first Roebuck of the season. Various shotguns from 12 bore down to 20.
Happy smokes
Ettrick puffer
View attachment 79136

I like old Martini actions; I have a couple myself.

K31’s are pretty sweet. When they hit the surplus market in the US, they were going for dirt cheap, about $79 iirc. I had about 8 altogether, and one had an old shutzenfest tag on the fore stock.

Some of them still had the tag under the buttplate with the name and unit of the soldier it was issued to decades ago. Back about 20 years ago when they were quite plentiful, some people contacted the previous owners.

I have taken a few whitetail deer with mine. I loaded 165 gr. Barnes XLC’s; made for one hell of an accurate rifle. Not that those are inaccurate in the first place. I try not to shoot the Cupronickel GP-11 because it wears the barrel faster that copper jacketed. The surplus ammo was loaded with And everybody at the range asked what those pretty blue bullets were...

Status
Not open for further replies.