PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Part of the human experience is people sorting themselves into groups that share the same values, goals, outlook, and so forth, and along the way developing outward characteristics for both internal and external identification purposes: Dress, manner, speech, vocabulary, hairstyle, etc.

When I was in high school there were Greasers, Jocks, Nerds, Punks, Hippies, and Cowboys.

A generation later Emos and Hipsters were added to the mix.

A hundred years ago there were Flappers.

In England they have Mods, Rockers, and Teddy Boys.

And so on.

Indeed, an entire TV show was made about it: Freaks and Geeks

However, the most distinctive group to come along in my lifetime doesn't seem to have a "group name" that I've been able to discover.

I live in a neighborhood that has a noted street of restaurants, coffee bars, clothing shops, and several specialty shops: a multi-storey bookstore, a tattoo parlor, and a national-class longboard skateboard operation.

When I'm out and about I always encounter several guys who look as if they checked with each other before leaving the house they look so alike: arm and neck tattoos, a yarn hat, a full (almost cinderblock-size) beard, and a tight, knitted sweatshirt or T-shirt. Colors are always drab. Muted military greens, browns, and so forth. (Though the yarn hat might be dark blue) Facial piercings seem to be optional but common.

I thought it was a local look, but then started seeing it on some TV shows about custom car builders that are filmed all over the country.

So. Does that group have a name?

Enquiring minds want to know.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Waxers.

Way back yonder in the days of SE Hinton, we had the Greasers. This clique was named after their overly greased, slicked back hair. If you turned one upside down and rang him out you'd get enough oil to lube a '54 Chrysler.

Nowadays we have the Waxers - so named for the boutique beard wax they apply to their facial coiffure.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
The assorted responses make me feel less ignorant.

The Yarnhat Beard Guys are definitely a group/tribe, but somehow avoided a widely recognized or agreed-upon name.

You also explained something else I didn't know, which is why their beards are so sparkly. (On a sunny day it's almost like they're dusted with glitter)

All of this makes you wonder what walking the streets will be like in another twenty years.