PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Winterreise

Lifer
Oct 21, 2020
Montréal , Québec
Lots of propaganda were writen by the “noble” from the renaissance about medieval era never forget that(medieval people take lots of bath for exemple . Renaissance men didn’t he use parfum instead?) , i was talking mostly about the early medieval chevalier from France (where chivalry was created) medieval era is the longest from all European history so yes it’s pretty vague , you can’t talk generally about medieval era . It’s going downhill from late 12-13 centuries. If you dig into the subject enough you realize there lots of bullshit about that period to fit some marxist theories . Rich and noble = bad bad people, which is completely false. Best way to learn about history is to read the original text.
Vive le Roy !!!! ??

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Lots of propaganda were writen by the “noble” from the renaissance about medieval era never forget that(medieval people take lots of bath for exemple . Renaissance men didn’t he use parfum instead?) , i was talking mostly about the early medieval chevalier from France (where chivalry was created) medieval era is the longest from all European history so yes it’s pretty vague , you can’t talk generally about medieval era . It’s going downhill from late 12-13 centuries. If you dig into the subject enough you realize there lots of bullshit about that period to fit some marxist theories . Rich and noble = bad bad people, which is completely false. Best way to learn about history is to read the original text.
Vive le Roy !!!! ??
Intriguing! What specific era of French chevalier would you recommend reading about? Most of my understanding of knighthood was written by Miguel De Cervantes ha ha!

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
All throughout history, people have romanticized the past as an escape from being optimistic about today. But, all in all... I am really happy with the world that we have. And, I am absolutely certain that I would not want to live in any past worlds. But... YMMV

I have to agree. Imagine a world with no plumbing (or toilet paper), no air conditioning, no automatic ice maker and no internet! I am happily and gloriously thrilled with life now!

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
My Father whenever his friends would talk about the Good Old Days would go in high gear saying Good Old Days, no A/C, cars that run over 100,000 miles, tires that last that long, you don’t work for .50 cents a day, good doctors, and I don’t have to ? outside, this is the Good Old Days.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I have to agree. Imagine a world with no plumbing (or toilet paper), no air conditioning, no automatic ice maker and no internet! I am happily and gloriously thrilled with life now!
Me too! For the doubters, I have just two words: modern dentistry. If you want to revisit the dentist from just 50 years ago, be my guest! In case you can't tell, that's a pulley system, running along a swing arm, driving the drill. He may look like an avuncular pipe smoker, but I can assure you that the pain he caused was exquisite.
61bf8860-a097-4f38-8bf2-64d507cbdb36-jpeg.30447

Reactions: hauntedmyst