PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I think there’s a lot of post enlightenment writing that throws a great deal of shade back at the medieval era it displaced. Personally I would prefer our current elites to have even a hint of the noblesse oblige that was more common of English aristocracy four hundred years ago.

At least back then, you could put a head on a pike now and then to keep them honest.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
If you would like to read about true humility from a “human” royal, read Meditations by Marcus Aurelius.

As for chivalry today, it’s all where you choose to look in order to find it. If social media or mainstream media is the lens you use you will need to look elsewhere. Thanks for the insightful post.

Winterreise

Lifer
Oct 21, 2020
Montréal , Québec
If you would like to read about true humility from a “human” royal, read Meditations by Marcus Aurelius.

As for chivalry today, it’s all where you choose to look in order to find it. If social media or mainstream media is the lens you use you will need to look elsewhere. Thanks for the insightful post.
I will look for that book ! I love stoicism.

• Love
Reactions: gamzultovah

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
If you would live by these rules nowadays you would have been eaten alive. For knights it was easy to live by these, as they had the right to use violence in that era on behalve of their landlord. And as said, knights where far from pious seeing the wars they fought, but at least the pope told them to do so, no harm no faul.

Reactions: tobefrank

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
I'm not talking about war in general, that's why i'm talking about wars the papal palace via kings and emperors in the past has instigated. Or the present thingy with religious zealots for that matter.

I'm not looking into making this a religious discussion (me not being a very devout catholic), but having 10 commandments with forgetting 9 for the sake of the first is ignorance of the highest level.

Reactions: lightmybriar

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
No doubt there were some who attempted to adhere to the virtues sung by the troubadours. Any reading of medieval history though reveals the atrocities committed by noble knights and their lords. The sack of Constantinople, the Albigensian crusade, the massacre of Muslims and Jews after the capture of Jerusalem by the first Crusade, need I elaborate? All you needed was a command from your lord or a Papal Bull and you could call the other guy an infidel. Then it was open season.

Reactions: lightmybriar

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
My understanding is, the knights rarely followed the code. Neither did samurais. Their status was used to abuse the lesser class. I'm sure there were exceptions, but most peasants were basically practice targets.

All throughout history, people have romanticized the past as an escape from being optimistic about today. I have always chosen to see the good around me. I've never met a stranger. when I do sense something wrong, I just do what I can to fix it... outside of telling someone else what to do or think.

I mean, sure, some people have it worse than me, and I help when I can, with what I can do. I also realize that I am sort of privileged by the luck of the draw. And, I am not saying that I get along with everyone. I have had my share of fistfights. But, all in all... I am really happy with the world that we have. And, I am absolutely certain that I would not want to live in any past worlds. But... YMMV

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
My enemy vanquished, the herds scattered, the village in flames and the weeping wives and daughters of my enemy groveling at my feet and clasped to my breast armor. — a good day

— Ghengis Kahn

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The upper classes in the Middle Ages could read and write, some of them, so they did better marketing of themselves. However, I propose that there was equality in the distribution of good and bad character among all the classes and levels of prosperity.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
The knights weren't chivalric to other people in real life. They exploited their tenants cruelly and made war constantly. Their private lives were filled with murder, rape, treason and corruption. Chivalry was a game they played with their peers in the higher rungs of society.
The measure of success back then was very different from what it is now, and a "good knight" might have been a mass-murderer, serial rapist, pederast etc and still considered saintly.
I consider now a good time to be alive.