PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Winterreise

Lifer
Oct 21, 2020
Montréal , Québec
I was reading a lot about medieval era mentality these days and come to realization that there no more Knight among us only merchant.

What is a succesful life ?

The Bourgeois from the renaissance forge the basic of modern man goals in life. Greeds, decadence and Gluttony.

The early medieval knight was Pious , honorable , he defend the weak and wanted to give back to others.

Here are the 10 Commandments of Chivalry .

1. Thou shalt believe all that the Church teaches and thou shalt observe all its directions.
  2. Thou shalt defend the Church.
  3. Thou shalt respect all weaknesses, and shalt constitute thyself the defender of them.
  4. Thou shalt love the country in which thou wast born.
  5. Thou shalt not recoil before thine enemy.
  6. Thou shalt make war against the infidel without cessation and without mercy.
  7. Thou shalt perform scrupulously thy feudal duties, if they be not contrary to the laws of God.
  8. Thou shalt never lie, and shalt remain faithful to thy pledged word.
  9. Thou shalt be generous, and give largesse to everyone.
  10. Thou shalt be everywhere and always the champion of the Right and the Good against Injustice and Evil.
I think the world need Knights more than ever , i find this devotion to be beautiful. Materialism , Nihilism and Progressism killed everything beautiful we use to fight for.

AKG897725.jpg

Jun 25, 2021
England
I was reading a lot about medieval era mentality these days and come to realization that there no more Knight among us only merchant.

The Bourgeois from the renaissance forge the basic of modern man goals in life. Greeds, decadence and Gluttony.

The early medieval knight was Pious , honorable , he defend the weak and wanted to give back to others.

1. Thou shalt believe all that the Church teaches and thou shalt observe all its directions.
  3. Thou shalt respect all weaknesses, and shalt constitute thyself the defender of them.
  7. Thou shalt perform scrupulously thy feudal duties, if they be not contrary to the laws of God.
  10. Thou shalt be everywhere and always the champion of the Right and the Good against Injustice and Evil.
I think the world need Knights more than ever , i find this devotion to be beautiful. Materialism , Nihilism and Progressism killed everything beautiful we use to fight for.

View attachment 112547
I think there's nothing wrong with a bit of of greed, decadence, and gluttony, as long as it includes a good measure of commandment 9.
To enjoy what we've been given and have generosity and largesse at the same time is an act of respect for that which we have been given.

As for what a successful life is, I could expound, but forum rules on religion forbid me to do so.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA

View attachment 112547
well if that's the measure of a "knight" they certainly didn't have many back in the day either. In fact it seems like there might be more people sticking to a code of ethics of these sorts now then back then.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
well if that's the measure of a "knight" they certainly didn't have many back in the day either. In fact it seems like there might be more people sticking to a code of ethics of these sorts now then back then.
Yeah, historically “chivalry” is a later construct, idealising how knights could/should have been. In reality medieval knights were more like gangsters/frat boys.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Yeah, historically “chivalry” is a later construct, idealising how knights could/should have been. In reality medieval knights were more like gangsters/frat boys.
Yep that style of propaganda of the past was so great and now is so decadent. When the reality is and always has been, that things are complicated there are a lot of flavors and types of people. And some are noble some not so noble and most somewhat in between. But ultimately more often then not people are opportunistic, short sighted, and generally pretty complex with many competing drives.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
I agree. I read a bunch of medieval history back in the day and there was the 'ideal' of knights and the actual reality. Many were just bullies or the armed enforcers of their bosses/lords.
If your boss is giving you land and you aren’t enforcing his will, I couldn’t imagine he would be too happy. It’s kind of your one job.

Reactions: The Clay King