PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

tabakpfeife

Might Stick Around
Jan 18, 2019
I wondered about that myself. I just received a Peterson Harp 80S. Beautiful pipe, but it is stained a dark cherrywood color. I have no idea what the grain looks like. Smokes like a dream though.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

nolan613

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 21, 2019
Augusta, GA
Human curiosity being what it is I think most of us wonder from yime to time what might lie below the finish. I would guess the manufacturer chose the finish based on the briar so I for one will pass on a voyage of discovery,

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
Going against the grain here...

But wouldn't you need a flawless piece of briar to achieve a perfectly black look, especially if it is to be glossy etc.
Fills have the possibility of shrinking and you wouldn't waste your time painting something black if there is a chance any imperfections will show up.

Just a thought.

Reactions: OldVark

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I was just wondering how pipe manufacturers decide which pipes get a solid stain costing (like Peterson Ebony pipes). Are they pipes that have above average fills? Are they pipes that have truly unremarkable grain? Are they just selected at random? I'd be curious to find out!
Let’s use Dr Grabow as an example.

It’s probably the largest pipe factory on earth in production numbers, making about 1,500 pipes per workday.

Grabow has about sixty workers.

Their best pipe is named a Royalton.

Grabow will price a Royalton the highest, likely sell the fewest of them, and have their most experienced workers turning them. You would too, if you managed Grabow.

New hires are someplace else in the factory making their cheapest line.

Before a workday starts, somebody grades and sorts the briar.

The oldest, most highly grained, best grade is reserved for Royaltons.

The Royalton worker wants to make a smooth Royalton with no stain. But although every piece of briar in front of him is of the highest grade there, it’s not all the same quality. As he turns it, some blocks have more pits and occlusions than others. So he stains and fills them, unless there’s too many flaws to meet Royalton quality control standards for smooth pipes, then he’ll “rusticate” the pipe.

Years ago Grabow sold colored paint dipped pipes.

Over at Peterson, it’s almost certain an Ebony pipe is one that while it made the grade, the block had too many fills to market as a smooth, unstained or lightly stained pipe.

The briar under the stain is Perterson grade, but it’s not of high quality.

It should smoke the same.

Alejo R.

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Yes, I know (I collect Longchamp pipes), but, they now had a signature look/identity. They stopped offering pipes in the late ’70s–early ’80.
It was always a company dedicated to leather products. I suppose that with the pipes his intention with the pipes was to put his expertise into an object of common use. obviously they didn't use the best pipes, which they surely bought from some manufacturer.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I have a Chacom dress black Rhodesian. A few years ago I had to remove the black stain and reapply a new coating. The grain was perfect and there were NO FILLS. I could have chosen to give it a natural finish. I am only suggesting that a painted finish on a pipe by a well known manufacturer with high standards doesn’t imply anything about the grain. Or the possibility of fills.

Reactions: jiminy