PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jiminy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
I was just wondering how pipe manufacturers decide which pipes get a solid stain costing (like Peterson Ebony pipes). Are they pipes that have above average fills? Are they pipes that have truly unremarkable grain? Are they just selected at random? I'd be curious to find out!

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Wonder this myself , the Rossi Vittoria line which I’ve been collecting since they are cheap and produced by Savinelli are all ebony stained , I like the look but suspect they couldn’t quite make the cut as Savinelli proper because of too many fills…

jiminy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
Wonder this myself , the Rossi Vittoria line which I’ve been collecting since they are cheap and produced by Savinelli are all ebony stained , I like the look but suspect they couldn’t quite make the cut as Savinelli proper because of too many fills…
Yeah, I don't mind the look of Ebony pipes, but I am suspicious that they needed a dark stain for a reason haha

Reactions: vosBghos

grimpuffer

Can't Leave
Aug 29, 2016
Yeah, I don't mind the look of Ebony pipes, but I am suspicious that they needed a dark stain for a reason haha

You also have the flip side of that coin where there are expensively made pipes that completely stain the grain out. I guess it could be both arguments where the cheaper pipes do it to cover imperfections, and the more expensive ones are because of the look they were going for regardless.

Honestly never put much thought into until seeing this thread.

Reactions: vosBghos and jiminy

jiminy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
Sanding one down reveals the very reason for solid staining - at least on the few pipes I've done this with. Unappealing grain, fills - a pipe that wouldnt look good blasted or lightly stained.
I had thought about sanding down one myself, but figured I'd get disappointed by it haha. The fills don't generally bother me too much, but a blah grain on a light-medium stain is just not something I want

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
Sanding one down reveals the very reason for solid staining - at least on the few pipes I've done this with. Unappealing grain, fills - a pipe that wouldnt look good blasted or lightly stained.
This has kept me from buying any. Or to put it more precisely, kept me from paying the price for an otherwise ideal pipe. Not especially a fan of the look, but I could live with it if it's a shape I like.

Want to see a real rat of a pipe? You know those leather-covered pipes that were more popular many years ago? Take off the leather to see what's underneath. Frightening. The one time I did, it scarred me for life and I've never recovered mentally--proof being that I sometimes catch myself commenting on pipe forums.

(Seriously, though, I have a leather-covered Longchamp that I found unsmoked on ebay. Smokes great. I assume the ebony stained pipes would also smoke as well as their colleagues in the same marque.)

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
This has kept me from buying any. Or to put it more precisely, kept me from paying the price for an otherwise ideal pipe. Not especially a fan of the look, but I could live with it if it's a shape I like.

Want to see a real rat of a pipe? You know those leather-covered pipes that were more popular many years ago? Take off the leather to see what's underneath. Frightening. The one time I did, it scarred me for life and I've never recovered mentally--proof being that I sometimes catch myself commenting on pipe forums.

(Seriously, though, I have a leather-covered Longchamp that I found unsmoked on ebay. Smokes great. I assume the ebony stained pipes would also smoke as well as their colleagues in the same marque.)
Longchamp pipes were deliberately covered in leather to hide the flawed briar available (due to wartime restrictions in France in the ’40s).

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I was just wondering how pipe manufacturers decide which pipes get a solid stain costing (like Peterson Ebony pipes). Are they pipes that have above average fills? Are they pipes that have truly unremarkable grain? Are they just selected at random? I'd be curious to find out!
from ones that people have removed the stain... I'd say it could go either way with a slightly higher tendency towards the oh that's why they covered that all up man that's a lot o fills (like the non-hit movie "Donhue in the multiverse". You know a lot of Phils)

Reactions: jiminy

jiminy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
from ones that people have removed the stain... I'd say it could go either way with a slightly higher tendency towards the oh that's why they covered that all up man that's a lot o fills (like the non-hit movie "Donhue in the multiverse". You know a lot of Phils)
Gotcha. I have a Peterson System Ebony that I've thought about gifting to a friend, but he prefers a more natural stain. I have given thought to sanding it down, but then there is no going back if it is hideous underneath.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Gotcha. I have a Peterson System Ebony that I've thought about gifting to a friend, but he prefers a more natural stain. I have given thought to sanding it down, but then there is no going back if it is hideous underneath.
I mean it could be restained. Then again sometimes what one person considers a subpar grain another thinks is just grand. Fills on the other hand well that might be more universally considered less ideal.

jiminy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
I mean it could be restained. Then again sometimes what one person considers a subpar grain another thinks is just grand. Fills on the other hand well that might be more universally considered less ideal.
That's true. I'm not exorcism flame grain or birds eye, but I once had a pipe that looked... Well, kinda ugly because it had nearly no grain. The lack of grain made what fills it had really pop out

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
That's true. I'm not exorcism flame grain or birds eye, but I once had a pipe that looked... Well, kinda ugly because it had nearly no grain. The lack of grain made what fills it had really pop out
If you don't like the finish and want to change it, then probably your best bet would be to blast or texture it. puffy