PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
You really want to know what the finest vapers in the world are? Then it will cost you, nothing is for free around here. For 500.00 I will give my list of vapers that is the worlds most famous list.

Oh ok I won't charge for the list this time I am feeling generous.
Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls
Peter Heinrichs Curly Block
Solani 633
Escudo
Samuel Gawith St James Flake
Dan Tobacco Salty Dogs
Savinelli Dobloned'Oro is a vaper with a nice kick of Kentucky.

Anything not on this list are posers and not worthy of attention. Stick around long enough and you see I am always right and these of these bums are a bunch of pikers. Well maybe Jesse and George and few more dozen know a little bit.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'll add Peter Heinrichs Special Curly/Curly Special to the list, and mostly because no one else did. I once heard a rumor that it IS what the original Bell's Three Nuns once was. If you are new to VaPers, that won't mean much. It's not my favorite VaPer by a long shot, but has that peppery mouth feel you might be seeking.
Curly Block, before it got exiled to STG, was similar Murray's Dunhill Navy Rolls.
Savinelli Doblone d'Oro is modeled after the Va/Per Three Nuns.

Reactions: BROBS and 02Knight

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Escudo always comes recommend. OJK will be a good spicy blend though I would jar it for a couple of months. My favorite is Watch City flake 558, very smooth, just a pleasure to smoke.
I don't consider OJK a Va/Per, but only because it's heavier on the burley than the Virginia. I actually dislike Va/Pers in general, but I smoke a lot of OJK. It does meet the spicy criteria though.

Edit: Okay I just remembered that there is one Va/Per I like very much: Dan Tobacco Salty Dogs. It's quite different to me than other Va/Pers though, perhaps the casing and the hard plug form.

Last edited:
Screw Escudo! I wish they'd just yank that abomination off the market. People smoking that shit made by STG is not Escudo. You're just spending money on a tin design. What is inside is not the Escudo I knew. It's not even any good now.
Sometimes I just wish they'd let a brand name die with some respect, instead of offering us packaged shit with a legendary label on it.
Three Nuns, Escudo, Balkan Sobranie, all that shit spipesmoker have longed over for all of these years... better off dead and buried with some dignity. Now people smoking that Escudo thinking, "hmmmm... this is that famous shit people been raving about for decades and decades?" It's a disgrace, an abomination, to their name. Damn the yes of these corporations making a buck on the names of legends. Damn their eyes to hell.

spicy_boiii

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 5, 2020
Bay Area, California
I thought it unhelpful to hear this before I gave it a shot, but trying different types of Virginias and perique varieties will get you further in finding out what you like.

Or just trying out different VaPers and finding what you like best. Virigina and Perique tobacco varietals are too varied.

They seem to run the gamut of all earth, almost burley like, to cotton candy sweet-blast.

Not to mention you have some uncased/minimally cased blends like D&R stuff, then all kinds of European VaPers with apricot, plum, brandy, cognac, vanilla, rum, sugar, and others sweet toppings that most won't admit contribute significantly or ARE the flavor.

Sorry if it's not helpful but I really found it to be the best advice.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Screw Escudo! I wish they'd just yank that abomination off the market. People smoking that shit made by STG is not Escudo. You're just spending money on a tin design. What is inside is not the Escudo I knew. It's not even any good now.
Sometimes I just wish they'd let a brand name die with some respect, instead of offering us packaged shit with a legendary label on it.
Three Nuns, Escudo, Balkan Sobranie, all that shit spipesmoker have longed over for all of these years... better off dead and buried with some dignity. Now people smoking that Escudo thinking, "hmmmm... this is that famous shit people been raving about for decades and decades?" It's a disgrace, an abomination, to their name. Damn the yes of these corporations making a buck on the names of legends. Damn their eyes to hell.
Huh. I like Escudo. Good thing I've never had the real thing - I probably couldn't handle it.

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Pipestud managed to get rid of my older ones, but I'm still stuck with several never-to-smoked tins of it. That said, is there currently any blend that's not a retread, that I, a disgruntled pipe smoker to be, might ridicule future generations for liking? I'm thinking not, but wanted to ask ;)

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
I’m not an expert at anything let alone VaPer selection. But, here are some of my favorites as you are asking for personal preferences...

SG St. James Flake/Plug
Heinrich’s Curly Block
Solani 633 Virginia Flake w/ Perique
Esoterica Dorchester & Dunbar
Escudo Navy Deluxe

I should mention that I’m more partial to St. James Flake than all else. It provides the strength & spice that I prefer. It has become harder to attain, but definitely not impossible at all.

Further, I could go on and on with other blends that are very good to great VaPers.

Finally, I agree with those that’ve already said that aging VaPers will definitely benefit the flavor profile of VaPers as does most aging with Virginia & VaPers. ☕

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
Rhythm and blues, escudo and bayou morning.... I like the regular not the flake. Rhythm and blues is good right out of the gate as is bayou morning. Escudo with age is amazing.

Reactions: hairvise and BROBS