Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I might add that I like a stronger tobacco with more of a kick.
Bayou Morning Flake. If the nic isn’t quite so important, then D&R Rimboche, either SJ or AP, or Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake. Also C&D Carolina Red Flake with Perique when it gets released again. Watch City Rouxgaroux is on my list, though I haven’t tried it yet.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When the late great fish'n'banjo sent me my first and only Meer, I wanted to send him a thank you by way of a tin of tobacco he liked, and he specified Escudo, which is a good premium grade Va/Per. He was a true pipe man, and a Virginia smoker, so I'd say that was a good one.

spicy_boiii

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 5, 2020
Bay Area, California
To start and explore?

-Watch City Rouxgaroux (or simply red + Perique) or Sutliff Cake VaPer
- Daughters and Ryan AP Rimboche
-C&D Opening Night + Perique
-Sutliff Elizabethan Match

That will help you get started, then you can go for those like H&H Virpati, Escudo, Telegraph Hill, Picayune, Kajun Kake, Scottish Cake/Flake, among other genre benders...

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
Has anyone mentioned C&D Poplar Camp? If not ..Poplar Camp. It kinda flies under the radar but it's a solid Va/Per and available in bulk for cheap.

I think my current favorite is/are Deluxe Navy Rolls though.
I don't smoke VaPer blends all that often, but when I do I like Poplar Camp, or for special occasions some older Dunhill DNR. They are very different blends in flavour, but I enjoy both. DNR smells more like dark fruit, Poplar Camp is stinky hay.

Effortlessdepths

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
+1 for luxury navy flake (cheap!) and poplar camp. Poplar camp is the strongest VaPer I've ever smoked (aside from custom blends), but in general VaPers aren't going to be stronger than medium. And as far as strength goes, if you're speaking to nicotine strength, you should try the many VaPerBurley blends. You can easily get that tasty sweet Virginia and still get a strong nic hit if that's what you're looking for. In that case I would recommend Old Joe Krantz original, it packs a nice wallop. I hear Cornell and Diehl's Burley Flake #5 has a decent amount of Virginia in it, and the rest of the series is amazing. I can't get enough of the Burley Flake #1, and to my tastes it is decently sweet and the Virginia isn't hard to find in it. All Burley forward blends though.

Reactions: 02Knight and edger

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Don't expect anything nearly as strong as stuff with Latakia, burley or Kentucky, it'll be an easygoing smoke that runs the risk of going hot if you puff too much.

Peterson Deluxe Navy Rolls to taste the golden mean of VaPers - not too strong, quite sweet, easygoing, this was my first VaPer, converted me to like them.

Solani 633/St Bernard Flake are less sweet than the above, and a bit hard to get in the US, but very good.

Bayou Morning Flake for a strong Perique kick - think spicy more than fruity and sweet.

I wouldn't bother with Gawith yet, they're a bit of a hassle.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Thanks for the clarification @chasingembers , I have to ask what is that Celtic writing for your signature? Or is it some other lost writing? What does it mean?
It says, "No followers please. Current followers please unfollow." It used to be in English, but I had a few that apparently couldn't read it so I'm attempting other options. It was in Japanese a couple of days ago.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
In no particular order:
Samuel Gawith - St James Flake - (Amazing with 5 or more years of age)
GL Pease - Telegraph Hill
GL Pease - Filmore
GL Pease - Sixpence
GL Pease - Haddo's Delight - (best given 5 or more years of age)
Hearth & Home - Anniversary Kake
Hearth & Home - Viprati
MacBaren - Acadian Perique
Samual Gawith - Cabbie's Mixture
Savinelli - Doblone d'Oro
Watch City Cigar - Rhythm & Blues
Daughters & Ryan - Rimboché AP
Esoterica - Dunbar
Esoterica - Dorchester
Sutliff - Match Victoria (modeled after the Murray's version of Dunhill Elizabethan)
Peter Stokkebye - Luxury Bullseye Flake (after four years of aging, otherwise it's like smoking cardboard)
Rattray's - Marlin Flake

Gone but not forgotten:
McClelland - 2015
Motzek - Strang - (best durned tobacco no longer made)
RO Perique Series - GP-11
A & C Petersen - Escudo - (Not to be confused with the crap that STG now squirts out)
Brigham - Acadian Blend
McClelland - Beacon
McClelland - Tudor Castle
Peter Heinrichs - Curly Block - (yeah, I know it's still made, but it's now made by STG and it's not as good)

heathandleaf

Might Stick Around
Aug 29, 2020
Tennessee
I'll add Peter Heinrichs Special Curly/Curly Special to the list, and mostly because no one else did. I once heard a rumor that it IS what the original Bell's Three Nuns once was. If you are new to VaPers, that won't mean much. It's not my favorite VaPer by a long shot, but has that peppery mouth feel you might be seeking.

Reactions: 02Knight

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I would never have thought that, it's so bland.

Escudo Navy Deluxe
Me either. Escudo nowadays at least sucks IMo especially for the price.

some of my favorites:
Sam Gawith St James Flake
Esoterica Dunbar
D&R Rimboche AP
Stokkebye Luxury Navy Rolls
Dunhill/Peterson Deluxe Navy Rolls
Dunhill/Peterson Elizabethan
Orlik Golden Sliced
Sam Gawith Cabbies Mixture
Robert McConnell Highgate
Davidoff Flake Medallions