PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisg5lf

Lurker
Jan 11, 2014
So I ended up getting a pipe that I'm assuming Edwards make themselves. It's stamped with Edwards on the sides, along with Benton on the other side. Overall, I think it's a good pipe to start off with. It feels good in my hand and has a good size bowl. It smokes very well also. I couldn't be happier with my first pipe. My first smoke was a great experience! Very relaxing and soothing. Taking care and time to pack a right bowl and it really paid off. Here are some pics for you guys.....

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
I was just in Denver and went to Tewksbury Co. It is in downtown denver... Very small shop but they had a couple decent blends.. The Celtic blend is my favorite from there if you are in to english blends... Good luck and let us know how the pipe hunting goes!

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
My recommendation is a Bjarne pipe. They look terrific and in my experiance they smoke wonderfully.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
To add to what Rayje said, the older vintage Bjarnes with the BJ logo were all handmade and all outstanding pipes. They're no longer made but you can find them if you look.
The current "Bjarne Viking" pipes are Bjarnes in name only. In my opinion they're a shadow of their former selves.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Benton makes the house pipes for Iwan Ries I mentioned in my long-winded post. Great pipes.

You will enjoy yours.

chrisg5lf

Lurker
Jan 11, 2014
mso489, I will look at all those you mentioned. There is just sooooo many pipes out there it's so hard to follow and choose. Thanks for the recommendations though!

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
Looks like a nice pipe that you've picked up. I hope it smokes like a champ for you. You'll need more - one is not enough. A couple of cobs is a good way to extend your rotation without spending a lot of money. It is easier if you just come to terms with the simple fact that you need more pipes. Once you accept the inevitable, you'll sleep better at night. There have been many good recommendations here on both new and estate pipes. Don't be afraid of estates.

chrisg5lf

Lurker
Jan 11, 2014
No no, I'm definitely not. I'm actually looking for my next pipe right now. I'm going through the mentioned pipes listed above and found quite a few that I like. Hard part is just deciding to pick one for right now. Is there a good website for estate pipes? All the sites I've looked at mostly have new pipes. Wouldn't mind spending a few extra bucks for a nice lookin' poker :D

lurch76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2013
Another brand you may want to look at is the Roma pipes. I have several I bought when I was at the Gatlinburlier, but I noticed several site sponsors carry them as well. I'm not a very experienced piper, but these seem good to me for the price.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Welcome, Chris!
I'll have to check out Edward's sometime - sounds like you had a good experience there. I can recommend Prince Phillip's from personal experience, as that's where I wound up getting my first pipe (and a couple more since then). The clientele is largely cigar-centric, but John (the owner) smokes a pipe about as often as he smokes a cigar, and has been quite helpful in picking out house blends. The smoking lounge area in the store is quite nice, with a proper ventilation system and plenty of ashtrays.

Status
Not open for further replies.