PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisg5lf

Lurker
Jan 11, 2014
Hello! I'm new to pipe smoking and I've researched quite a bit on it. So far, I love it! I'm looking to go buy a good pipe today!! Somewhere in the range from $50-$60. I already have a pipe, a really cheap pipe that I bought at a local store. Any information would be greatly appreciated!! Also, extra brownie points if anyone knows of a good tobacco shop in the Denver/Metro region ;)
Cheers,
Chris

Aug 1, 2012
Personally, I would go to Edward's in Englewood and have the clerk recommend a good pipe for you from his stock. They have a good selection of well priced new pipes as well as a lot of great estate (used) pipes that have been cleaned up by a pro. That, along with one of the better tobacco selections I've ever seen, makes them a no-brainer for me.
Their address is

3439 S Broadway

Englewood, CO

chrisg5lf

Lurker
Jan 11, 2014
Thanks for the reply captain. I just found the "pipe store locator" tab on the site. Pays to look once in awhile.....I was also looking at the Prince Philips site too. Is that place any good?

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
Nording and Karl Erik pipes if you can find them - I've got a Nording semi-rusticated I picked up for around $50 and it was great. Also The Wessex Bristol pipe I got - runs 60-70 is an amazing smoker to my surprise.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like the idea of going to a pipe shop when you start out smoking a pipe; you'll learn a lot and be

able to view the pipes in person, even if you pay a dollar or three more for them ... and no shipping.

But doing a lot of looking and shopping is also a good idea, to learn all the different specifications.

You may not want to start out with a filter pipe; it is one more item to buy (filters) and it mutes the

flavors of the tobaccos you try. You probably want a pipe without a stinger, an old fashioned metal

piece in the stem that was supposed to remove moisture. Shopping online, take a look at

tobaccopipes.com and their Chapuis-Comoy pipes for about $31 to $48; their inventory is low, so

a lot of the pipes they show, they don't have -- look for the "Add to my cart" note to show the ones

they actually stock, but these are good briar pipes, well-made and priced below their value. The

Eriksen pipes from Nording are absolutely great, solid, sturdy, well-drilled and priced around $50,

and will last a lifetime. Cup O Joes has some unstamped Butz-Choquin pipes at the very end of

the BC series that look like fine pipes from a good maker, for only $44. And last but not least,

look at Iwan Ries Exclusives pipes, which from about $36 to $52; made by Benton, these are great

quality pipes in handsome traditional designs in compact or full (Group 4) sizes. Any of these pipes

will do just fine, for a first pipe or to build a rotation. These are NOT the only good pipes in the

$50 to $60 range, but if you patiently look at all of them, you will learn something about pipes, and

quite a bit about what you want personally, just in terms of taste. Then go to the pipe shop and see

what they have to offer. Last time I was at my independent pipe shop, they had a beautiful little

straight Dublin by a good maker, Brebbie, for exactly $50, bingo. I didn't buy it because I have,

um, quite a few pipes, but I'm tempted.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
I've never been in either shop, though my next trip to Colorado will hopefully allow for it. Both their websites, however, are utter garbage.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
+1 to coalsmoke's recommendation of Briar Blues. In this price range, I always recommend estate pipes. You'll get twice or thrice the pipe for your money and it'll already be broken in.

Aug 1, 2012
I still would recommend Edwards since I have gotten a couple of great estate deals there that were cleaned to my standards and their tobacco prices are about $3 a tin more than online. In addition, they let you try some samples, use their smoking lounge and supplies, and they give you some darn good advice. After the obsession has taken hold and the estate PAD madness has set in, then I recommend adding online shops into the mix.
Speaking of deals, I got 2 Pipe-Dan pipes there for under $100 for the pair including a smooth skater.

chrisg5lf

Lurker
Jan 11, 2014
I just got back from Edwards. The service there was exceptional! They showed me around, told them the price range I wanted to get into and picked up a decent beginner pipe. They went to even as far as to have me try different samples, and showed me how to pack a pipe. Overall it was a great experience and I will be back there. I'll look around briarblues for another pipe to start adding to my collection. I appreciate all the feedback!

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
This caught my eye. Joe Mariner was a popular carver back in the day. I almost bought it. 8O

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-JOE-MARINER-Classic-LIMITED-COLLECTION-86-of-199-Estate-Pipe-u93-/261372965105?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cdb0af0f1

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
You can find some really good deals on estate pipes for that price. If you want a new one though, take a look at Nording's "Eriksen" line of pipes, very well built and great smokers.

namuna

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2013
Glad to hear you had a great experience at the pipe shop Chris.
Another suggestion for future reference if you want a new pipe in that price range... Rossi.

http://www.tobaccopipes.com/rossi-pipes/?sort=priceasc
The Rossi brand is actually owned by Savinelli, which is essentially their "quality briar at affordable prices" line of pipes. I actually ordered a Rossi Rubino in Zulu shape for $50 a couple of days ago (originally saw it at a pipe store for $75), can't wait to get it!

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Welcome to the forum and pipe smoking. Glad you had such a positive experience at the pipe shop. A good B&M can be a big help.

johnnyiii

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2013
hertford nc
As a aging newbe that resumed smoking a pipe at thanksgiving I REALLY liked smokingpipes.com. The selection was huge and it allowed me to look alot with out a sales man hanging over my head like at my home shop. What you see is what you get with their photos. The camoy pipes mentioned above are there, the rossi, and chacom is another brand. I have two chacom's and one Rossi. Except for the new rossi not passing a standard pipe cleaner cause the stem hole is to narrow at the mouth piece, I liked them both a lot. They were a fuzz over your price range between 60 and 80.
I would bet though based on the time of your post versus now that you already have your new pipe in hand. :lol:
So hurry back with the pics. 8O , after though you had your first :puffy: at home of course.

Aug 1, 2012
Glad that it worked out for you. I forgot to say in my earlier posts, welcome to the forum and to the obsession.

Status
Not open for further replies.