PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I just smoke through it. Some blends give me chemical burn if I haven’t smoked them for awhile (FVF is one) but if I just bare with it, my palate acclimates and its gone before ya know it. My gums bleed all the time but hey, that FVF is worth it! ;)

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The most bite free blends in my cellar are Ashley’s no. 109 Medium Flake, Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake and since those can be a bitch to find I would grab a tin of Peterson flake which is the old Dunhill flake. Stay away from anything with red Virginia till you heal and get a bottle of Biotene. That will be 50 bucks for the sage wisdom.

doclinn

Lurker
Nov 23, 2017
Abstinence cures bite. It's elegant. Heat caused it; remove the heat.
But tongue irritation ("bite") is Not about heat. Tongue Bite is a chemical (alkaline) burn of the oral tissue. Simply, if it were related to heat, one would never be able to tolerate the amount of heat that would do injury to the tongue. Chemical burn requires NO heat. Solution: smoke tobacco that is Low in alkaline and higher on the acid end of the continuum.

biz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2020
Florida
Never have it anymore. I am not trying to start a fight. I know which tobaccos can cause it, and I smoke slower. I also am a firm believer in Peterson system pipes. If I am smoking a lesser pipe, with a questionable tobacco, I am very cautious. Life is too short for hot smoke.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I don't burn my tongue anymore. When I did, abstinence was the only remedy.

Abstinence cures bite. It's elegant. Heat caused it; remove the heat.

Certainly not smoking seems logical, but my understanding is that it’s about the PH Balance causing tongue bite.

Hmm ?

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Abstinence.

There is the Ph problem, and there is also the heat. When I smoked I was always on the verge, because I just couldn't slow down. In fact when my tongue began to hurt I had to slow down. To me it was the heat crossing the threshold of what the tissue of my tongue could tolerate. That's why I say abstinence. Remove the heat that caused the problem.

In my mind there is no blend that cures tongue-bite. This ignores the fact that smoking caused the problem. Thus the answer is never to keep on smoking or to smoke a certain blend.The answer is not smoking

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I cannot ever recall having tongue bite, but I'm 70 years old. Maybe back in the day when I cut my teeth on OTC aros.
I think it's part of the learning curve, and when you have your pipe choices and blends figured out you're good. Find what you enjoy smoking, and the pipes that you like to smoke it in.
This ☝️

Reactions: BROBS

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
I'm ignorant on most things having to do with chemistry. Does this help? How do I know if my tobacco is high in alkaline or acid? Any help or direction greatly appreciated.
Thanks
mike
Per the article someone linked the bite comes from low ph caused either by a tobacco that is alkaline like a burley or a tobacco that is high in sugar and smoked to fast also resulting in low ph. So chemical induced tongue bite comes only from low ph, at least that’s the way I understood it.

finnian3

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 12, 2015
Illinois
I have not won the battle of the bite. I believe the problem is threefold. I do love the aromatics and they have a serious bite. I pack the bowl too tight and hot box the smoke. For these sins I have paid. There must be no retreat though. I will learn the way of the smoke.