PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Parsimonious Piper

Can't Leave
Oct 12, 2019
Anyone else have a blend they turn to when the tongue starts to get sore? I’ve recently found that following a bitey bowl with a pipeful of C&D Byzantium—no VA or Burley, just Latakia, Orientals, and Perique—is soothing to the mouth. Seems to smoke cool and dry every time.

stogie37

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 24, 2012
Southport, North Carolina
After 30yrs of pipe smoking, I seldom torch my tongue anymore - but I do fatigue my palate after thinking (hoping) that my growing intolerance for red VA has waned and firing up a bowl, or after smoking almost anything made by MacBaren or that is treated with anything above a mild dose of PG. when any of the above take place, I usually turn to Presbyterian Mixture or C&D Star of the East Gold - both Oriental heavy and trace or no PG added. Biotene was not the miracle cure for me back in the day that it seems to be for so many, so abstinence was the only cure - and that in itself is torture :(

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
FWIW, no blend is going to cure, or even help, tongue bite. It’s basically a chemical burn, to my understanding. Once it’s there, the damage is done, and you’ll have to let it heal. @Parsimonious Piper , I think what you’re noticing is that Byzantium simply may not be as aggressive to your “wound” as some other blends, and that may feel more refreshing than something that has been biting you. As far as I know though, laying off the pipe is the best thing that you can do to really speed it up. If you decide to continue to “smoke through it,” you might stick to small bowls of thoroughly dried out Byzantium, smoke slowly, and spread the bowls out throughout the day. ?‍♂️
Biotene was not the miracle cure for me back in the day that it seems to be for so many, so abstinence was the only cure - and that in itself is torture :(
Same.

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
Yeah, the only real cure for an injured tongue is to lay off the pipe for a few days and use Biotene oral rinse a few times daily to help keep your mouth moist. Dry, injured mouths take longer to heal.

The best prevention is to not try fighting through bowls of tobaccos that don’t agree with your mouth—once your tongue starts feeling tingly or spicy, chill out with the puffing and let the pipe rest a minute. If that doesn’t help and it still bites even when the smoke is cool, then just write off the rest of the bowl and don’t force yourself to endure an unnecessarily painful smoke.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Give it a rest, yes. I was surprised when I burnt my tongue, gums, and all, with a holiday blend that, after a rest, even my full-strength non-aromatic blends were a lot gentler. The wrong flavorings on fire can really do a chemical burn.

Reactions: JOHN72

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
You may want to try a 10 minute "mouth soak" with Hydrogen Peroxide. I've been doing this since about November. Does wonders for the inside of the mouth and, it whitens the teeth wonderfully.

Mike S.
What does it do for taste?