PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

larryspencer

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2009
West Texas
Wow, what choices, depending on your palate. I was a former fan of Piccadilly, Samara, and the aforementioned Bohemian Scandal. Taste change, and I now lean toward Telegraph Hill, and when found Stonehenge flake.

BayouGhost

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 10, 2024
Louisiana
It depends on the individual. I have sampled 59 blends from all variety of blenders and rate them 1-5. My repeat buys and stock ups for the cellar tend to be un-topped and not heavily cased. I tend to shy away from rum soaked and similar, although I do wonder what they will be like in a few years when the liquor evaporates somewhat. My 4-5 ratings include D&S Blairgowrie, GLP Sparkplug, Triple Play and Bankside. I can tell Bankside will be incredible with a few years on it. I really enjoyed it in a 22mm wide pot shape. I have only sampled Union Square new, but have several in the cellar. Gaslight seems to have a cult following. I only gave 7 of 59 I have tried a 5 rating and Blairgowrie was one of them. 1st Amendment was also very good as well as Key Largo which is the go to when i’m paddling through the reeds in my kayak and it is roasting hot and you can almost swim through the air while you beg for your next breath. It just works in that setting. My next try outs will be D&S Inns of Court, Stratford, Geometrie and Gaslight, all of which I have yet to sample.

Last edited:
Reactions: Piping Abe

BayouGhost

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 10, 2024
Louisiana
Update: I was inspired to try Gaslight, so I filled my Savinelli 121KS Luisa Fiammata and walked into the nearby park in total darkness. It was 90F or 32C out today, but on initial light and try as the first cloud passed my face and I looked up to see the Orion's Belt peering through moonlit clouds. When I looked back down, I was transported to London in the wee hours. The pubs had all shut down and I could not find a cab, so I walked the hour from Tom Cribb down to Pall Mall and Trafalgar Square. I paused at the statue of Nelson, nodded in respect and continued the long way across the Golden Jubilee Bridge and past Blackfriars on to the Tower Bridge. I paused and watched the lights reflecting in the Thames as the waters passed underneath. The still of night was only broken by the sound of the water. As fast as I had traveled, I was back.

I will be ordering more. I need to now compare it to Sparkplug, but my initial read is that there is an underlying mossy aspect amidst the usual players. The Latakia was not as forward as I had expected, but it was very nice, and I will take that walk again. I have mylar-ed the rest and will re-open it this winter.

Reactions: Manawydan

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Update: I was inspired to try Gaslight, so I filled my Savinelli 121KS Luisa Fiammata and walked into the nearby park in total darkness. It was 90F or 32C out today, but on initial light and try as the first cloud passed my face and I looked up to see the Orion's Belt peering through moonlit clouds. When I looked back down, I was transported to London in the wee hours. The pubs had all shut down and I could not find a cab, so I walked the hour from Tom Cribb down to Pall Mall and Trafalgar Square. I paused at the statue of Nelson, nodded in respect and continued the long way across the Golden Jubilee Bridge and past Blackfriars on to the Tower Bridge. I paused and watched the lights reflecting in the Thames as the waters passed underneath. The still of night was only broken by the sound of the water. As fast as I had traveled, I was back.

I will be ordering more. I need to now compare it to Sparkplug, but my initial read is that there is an underlying mossy aspect amidst the usual players. The Latakia was not as forward as I had expected, but it was very nice, and I will take that walk again. I have mylar-ed the rest and will re-open it this winter.
Jeez man, Greg’s intros to some of his own stuff seems like the cliff’s notes version of that little trip to London.😆

rmcnabb

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2024
^^^^ This, and I'll add Westminster and Navigator. Also a big fan of his Drucquer & Sons Blairgowrie.
I think if I had to choose only one tobacco that I can actually get my hands on in good quantity, it would be Westminster. It's pretty fantastic stuff, and hard to qualify - it hits all the right notes without too much of anything. It ages amazingly too. I'm working through an 8 oz tin now that is 15 years old and it'll bring a tear to a glass eye.

Thanks for the nod on Blairgowrie - it's been on my radar but I haven't bit the bullet yet. Time for a tinner with my payday order!

• Love
Reactions: BCF and JOHN72