PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

eaglebleyes

Might Stick Around
Jan 23, 2017
Mars
So I bought a lightly used Altinay off Ebay recently..Some of you may have been bidding on the same pipe 🤔...I get it and pack a bowl of five brothers in it and I can tell it has been ghosted by a perfumed tobacco..Is there anyway to remove the taste from it? It isn't very strong but noticeable.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
After cleaning as @renfield suggested, I would smoke Five Brothers or any other non- aromatic burley to finish off the ghost. It worked in the past on my briars so in theory it should work on meerschaum.

Reactions: eaglebleyes

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
Meerschaum has lots of pore holes, but with cleaning and smoking 5-10 bowls, I’m sure it’s gone…. Does it even affect your smoke now? Mild ghosts don’t bother me, I chock them up to stuff people obsess about now, they never used to.

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
I would sell it. As others have stated meerschaum has properties to be slow to soak in the flavors compared to briar. It will take a long time to re-ghost it IMO.

I have been trying to ghost a meerschaum with deer tongue, and have not succeeded. after a couple hundred smokes.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I would sell it. As others have stated meerschaum has properties to be slow to soak in the flavors compared to briar. It will take a long time to re-ghost it IMO.

I have been trying to ghost a meerschaum with deer tongue, and have not succeeded. after a couple hundred smokes.
I've not even been able to ghost a briar with deertongue for more than a couple of smokes. I think it's just where deertongue blends aren't very damp. Aromatics will ghost a meerschaum after just a handful of smokes. My big Kenan from the outside smells like a cross between maple and coconut from the skull all the way down the length of the shank from the outside.

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
I've not even been able to ghost a briar with deertongue for more than a couple of smokes. I think it's just where deertongue blends aren't very damp. Aromatics will ghost a meerschaum after just a handful of smokes. My big Kenan from the outside smells like a cross between maple and coconut from the skull all the way down the length of the shank from the outside.
I think that I am going to give up, and start smoking more variety of blends in this meerschaum. I appreciate your experience and advise.