Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Obviously does not work for what?

The clear plastic is a heat sealed anti-tamper device - if your tin had this on and was intact then it shows the tin has not been opened or tampered with in any way prior to you getting it and so the plastic wrap has indeed done its exact job.
No offense was meant. It doesn't work as an air-tight seal which in itself is an anti-tamper device. I am a huge fan of your product and have followed these threads obsessively. I am sorry that there was a problem with your tin supplier and as I've said I jar it or smoke it upon purchase.

MikeDub

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2022
SoCal
I just got a fresh tin of Rum Flake (now called "Jamaican Flake") from SmokingPipes earlier this week and tried it for the first time. The tobacco was quite moist out of the tin and had a strong licorice aroma but no detectable rum or Lakeland essence, and when I smoked it the only flavors I got were a bit of Virginia and a lot of Dark Fired Kentucky. No rum, licorice, or Lakeland essence; just plain Virginia and Dark Fired Kentucky. It basically tasted like a mellower version of Mac Baren's Old Dark Fired and was the first Gawith Hoggarth blend that I was actually rather disappointed with, though the tins of Bob's Chocolate Flake, Kendal Black Cherry, and Ennerdale I got in the same order were all great. They do seem to have removed the Lakeland essence from Bob's Chocolate Flake though, or at the least toned it down to the point that it's almost imperceptible.
Give Rum Flake a couple of weeks in the jar and then try it again. I wasn’t impressed either after the first smoke but after letting it sit in a jar for a few weeks it seems to really open up flavor wise. It’s one of my favorites now

pepperandjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 21, 2023
West Carpathian ToodleOoh
In my former years as a pipesmoker there were never the outages/shortages with SG/GH products as there are now. But you knew that. I remember some guys strutting about who were able to get unobtainium and pushing this on the rest of us mopes who weren't so lucky. Their strategy was, they said, that they simply shopped elsewhere than the half-dozen major outlets. I put this to the test in search of 1792 a few weeks ago. Still unlucky.

Ghosted Tamper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2023
South West, US
In my former years as a pipesmoker there were never the outages/shortages with SG/GH products as there are now. But you knew that. I remember some guys strutting about who were able to get unobtainium and pushing this on the rest of us mopes who weren't so lucky. Their strategy was, they said, that they simply shopped elsewhere than the half-dozen major outlets. I put this to the test in search of 1792 a few weeks ago. Still unlucky.
Some days you get the candy, some days you get the wrapper. I'm assuming you're from the US; be aware here on the forums when folks start to mention a Gawith drop, or watch closely the "Recent TAD Pick-Ups" thread. Stay vigilant.

Reactions: vosBghos