PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I've always been intrigued by the finish on these pipes. A novel idea, sandblast the pipe, then sand it down to almost smooth. Why? I don't know, but I like the looks though, makes the pipe look like its had years of loving wear and use. I finally found one I liked at a reasonable price with a perspex stem! Another questionable idea, a clear stem, a PIA to keep clean looking. Anyone else have one of these pipes, and if so what are your thoughts?
fullsizeoutput_21ef-600x334.jpg

fullsizeoutput_21ed-600x330.jpg

Reactions: SpookedPiper

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
Nice looking pipe but you could be right about the stem. If you think it would smoke good (I bet it does) then go for it. You can always have another stem. Made if it bothers you too much.

Reactions: SpookedPiper

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I just finished and posted a Granitan. The Perspex stems can be bothersome. Run a cleaner dipped in alcohol thru each time, then a dry one, that will keep it fairly clean. Good looking pipe!

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Interesting clear stem. I can see how that would be a little more maintainence to keep clean, but like Al says, running a pipe cleaner through it should keep it from getting too dirty. I guess it depends on the level of cleaning you want to do after each use.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Caveat: getting alcohol in the air way might haze the stem channel, if you don't clean it immediately. Some people are freaky about that. I'd rather have a hazed airway vs tobacco stained. Toothpaste on a bristle cleaner also works, but is somewhat less effective.

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
I have 3 Granitans. Two are excellent smokers, the third one has bowl walls that are too thin.
I would never buy one with the clear stem which looks like an anti-smoking ad after awhile, though you could always have a new stem made.

• Haha
Reactions: BROBS

smokingwizard

Lurker
Aug 11, 2019
Yay! I too love my GBD Granitan London England 549. Don’t smoke it to much cuz I want it to always look like new. :worship:

smokingwizard

Lurker
Aug 11, 2019
OMG I just saw online a GBD churchwarden ($ 98.00) that I really want. But I already bought a pipe this month so if I get the GBD, my wife will kill me lol. If it’s still there Sept. 1st then I will get it. Beautiful churchwarden to go with my Wizard persona. I want I want :D

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
If you get the clear steam, you could always paint it black or gray on the inside. Cleaner looking than stained and an interesting effect with the clear outside being maintained.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The finish texture doesn't appeal to me for whatever reason, and the stem would take extra cleaning to keep it appetizing. I like smooth or textured, but not something in between, I guess. That's such a handsome shape, I guess I'd rather see it in a more traditional finish with a more classic stem.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I've always been intrigued by the finish on these pipes. A novel idea, sandblast the pipe, then sand it down to almost smooth. Why? I don't know, but I like the looks though, makes the pipe look like its had years of loving wear and use. I finally found one I liked at a reasonable price with a perspex stem! Another questionable idea, a clear stem, a PIA to keep clean looking. Anyone else have one of these pipes, and if so what are your thoughts?
fullsizeoutput_21ef-600x334.jpg

fullsizeoutput_21ed-600x330.jpg
Nice pipe. Did you end up buying it?

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
I have one like that too. I always just assumed someone sanded it down themselves perhaps because sandblast fell out of favor or something. Like an amateur restorer approaching the restoration ala "I can fix this!"

Reactions: BROBS

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I decided to bump this post up because I got another pipe that may well be made by
GBD with a Granitan finish. Stamped Parklane Ltd. Tan Briar, London England, 9489 which is a GBD pipe shape. Looks like a Granitan finish too. I believe that Parklane Ltd. were some pipe shops in Washington state in the 1960s. Kind of an interesting sidebar, and it smokes great too!fullsizeoutput_283f.jpegfullsizeoutput_2840.jpegfullsizeoutput_2844.jpeg

Reactions: jaytex1969

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I made a wrong turn last month and ended up on that damned auction site. Then this Granitan arrived at my house.

1591670566679.png

1591670595963.png

I haven't smoked it yet. There's a 1/32" gap between the stem & stummel, so I need to get drunk and bust out the grinding tools until it's flush.

1591670553742.jpeg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.