Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Reactions: jaytex1969

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
I shopped at Pipelane in the 70s and have a pipe from them that may also be a GBD though not like my Granitans. They also had a blend I liked called Diplomat. I miss those brick and mortar shops.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Well like a bad penny, this thread just keeps returning. I seem to be fascinated by this finish that only GBD seemed to make. As I started this thread I had bought a Granitan with a perspex stem. I ended up getting rid of it because I just couldn't like that stem enough. Then I found this Park Lane that was made by GBD for Park Lane and for some reason I thought it was a Granitan finish. Silly me, obviously it was the Prehistoric finish. Because I like this old pipe so much as it smokes so well, I had to make it into a Granitan!
Ta da!
fullsizeoutput_2a63.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2a64.jpeg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
GBD is an interesting brand, originated in France I think, but in London long since. G.L. Pease is a GBD collector, sort of like sable' with Barlings. Some people think GBD's are clunky, but I think they look good. My Brit wood is limited -- a Ferndown (tops of mine), a Parker, and a Britannia. They do have an appealing solidity and traditional look. This is the first attention to GBD's I remember on Forums.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Parklane as in the NY pipe shop just North of Albany? Please show me a shot of the nomenclature. I stumbled onto GBD's about a decade ago, and that brand represents the biggest number in my collection. I'm not a fan of the Granitan finish, but it is unique to GBD as far as I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.