PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I personally prefer the unscented flake version above the scented version and their plug counterparts as well but I usually recommend people try them all to see which they prefer.

GH&C Dark flake is a great blend, one of my favorites, and all the versions are good but they do have their differences.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I'll have to reacquaint myself!

Looks like I might have mixed up Dark Flake Scented and Dark Flake Aromatic.
Standard usage is Dark Flake Scented and Unscented, respectively DFS and DF. I think I've seen some use DFU to designate the untopped, uncased tobacco, but that would seem redundant.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Strange thing is I thought that Dark Flake is just cut from Dark Plug, however Dark Plug gave me an impression it has DFK, while DFS did not at all. Only smoked a small sample of Dark Plug though so far.
What is DFK? Yes, flake is derived from plug. I never tasted another tobacco in either the plug or the flake. I tasted the same blend in both preparations.

Reactions: 5star

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I've smoked far more flake than plug, and far, far more Dark Flake than Dark Plug. But my memory is that the plug was deeper and richer than the flake, with no trace of Dark-Fired KY.
It's odd, neither Dark Plug or Dark Flake list DFK as an ingredient, but the one bowl of Dark Plug I tried gave me a DFK taste, while the Dark Flake Scented I am smoking doesn't at all.

Reactions: hauntedmyst

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
Im probably a light weight but I smoke some dark flash unscented yesterday and had to put it down after half a bowl. It tasted quite nice tho I will l say that.

Reactions: Mtlpiper and karam

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Im probably a light weight but I smoke some dark flash unscented yesterday and had to put it down after half a bowl. It tasted quite nice tho I will l say that.

Just keep going. You may be a light weight now but the fact that you liked the taste means it's working. Dark Flake is to the pipe smoker what Gamma Rays are to the Hulk - let it do it's work. Except in this case it's not making you into a super hero, it's making you into a man - a pipe smoking man! You don't want to quit or the next thing you know you are like one of those parents who won't let their play dodgeball because it's "too aggressive and dangerous!" Then they are complaining to the school principle that their child is experiencing macro and micro aggressions and (heavens to Betsy!) his feeling are hurt. Or worse yet, like one of those parents who think their kid can pick their gender and in the process does immeasurable harm by confusing him so much, he doesn't know something as basic as man and woman! The next thing you know, we have a nation full of boys wearing dresses and in the event of war, they surrender almost immediately and try to negotiate with the Russians for safe spaces. Do you think those Commie's are going to give them their safe spaces? Hell no! Now America, the former Land of the Brave and Home of the Free is gone, just gone. And the greatest generation weeps in their graves wondering what they fought for. All this because you didn't press through and get used to the Dark Flake. Do you want that on your conscience? I don't think so mister. For the love of God man, smoke the Dark Flake!

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
Just keep going. You may be a light weight now but the fact that you liked the taste means it's working. Dark Flake is to the pipe smoker what Gamma Rays are to the Hulk - let it do it's work. Except in this case it's not making you into a super hero, it's making you into a man - a pipe smoking man! You don't want to quit or the next thing you know you are like one of those parents who won't let their play dodgeball because it's "too aggressive and dangerous!" Then they are complaining to the school principle that their child is experiencing macro and micro aggressions and (heavens to Betsy!) his feeling are hurt. Or worse yet, like one of those parents who think their kid can pick their gender and in the process does immeasurable harm by confusing him so much, he doesn't know something as basic as man and woman! The next thing you know, we have a nation full of boys wearing dresses and in the event of war, they surrender almost immediately and try to negotiate with the Russians for safe spaces. Do you think those Commie's are going to give them their safe spaces? Hell no! Now America, the former Land of the Brave and Home of the Free is gone, just gone. And the greatest generation weeps in their graves wondering what they fought for. All this because you didn't press through and get used to the Dark Flake. Do you want that on your conscience? I don't think so mister. For the love of God man, smoke the Dark Flake!
Well in that case I think I'll have a meal and bust out the big bowl!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A number of Forums members like Lakelands aromatics, but this review elucidates their charm in a cogent way, complete with botanical illustrations. I always expect aromatic flavorings to stay in the background and play a supporting and enhancing role rather than take the lead, like a good jazz percussionist. But this review visualizes how tobacco may just be a carrier while the smoker enjoys the flavors foremost. It's not something I subscribe to, but this explains why many do.

Reactions: karam and PipesRock

Mtlpiper

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2019
Montreal, QC
A fine review. I was very happy to finally get some Dark Fake (unscented). Though I'm very fond of both, as well as Dark Plug (and Dark Plug Rum).

It's been a while, so there were a few "cor blimey" remarks on the first smoke... but ordered more immediately for that long wait until the next drop.

I find it's definitely more of a big hitter than HH Bold Kentucky, but that does fill the gap fairly well.

Reactions: karam