PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Now we're talking. I am an unapologetic Lakeland fan, but edging towards dropping the "Lakeland" label as all "Lakelands" I've smoked are very different from each other so they shouldn't be lumped together in terms of taste, only in terms of origin.

This one smells extremely strongly of geranium (the flower) for me, and I know this smell very well because it's common in Greek gardens. A similar-smelling plant (Pelargonium) may be what the actual source of the scent is, but I'll call it geranium because I can't be sure of the names. Geranium, come to think of it, has a heavier and sweeter smell than Pelargonium, which is more lemony and tangy - Pelargonium may be it!

I can't pick out anything else in the flavour of the smoke, only the room note seems to allow the various flavourings added to somewhat separate and be distinct.

The presentation is typical Gawith, thick cut very dark brown flakes, heavy and oily. Strangely enough it catches straight from the tin, but as you progress to smoke it it will need a relight for every puff at the end of the bowl.

I frankly don't detect tonquin, liquorice or maple in the smoke, or any discernible tobacco taste. It is all geranium: tangy, spicy, not floral or herbals, sweet but balanced by the inherent tangyness and underlying bitterness of the geranium. There's depth here and a fair amount of nicotine, but it is smooth and 100% consistent to the very end of the bowl. It is reasonably strong, but far less than Lakeland Dark or 1792 flake.

The real magic for me about this tobacco is that it really takes AGES to burn down, half a flake kept me me occupied this morning for 2+ hours, and the taste never wavers. It never burns hot either, does not bite. It just needs relights every puff if you're committed to finishing every last strand of tobacco in your bowl.

Very very satisfying smoke, if I hadn't had 1792 already it could have made my top 5.

The flakes in my jar

1626889360945.png

What we call "Geranium" in Greece.

1626889343081.png

What we call "arbaroriza" in Greece (official name is Pelargonium), and typically will include 1-2 leaves of it in fruit preserves, give a delightful flavour. I feel this plant is the source of the scenting.

1626889442738.png

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
I stand by my opening statement, I will abolish the term "Lakelands". Ennerdale, DFS, Bosun, Bob's, Conniston - all radically different from each other
As i have stated before here many times,you are correct there is no one lakeland smell/taste there are many different ones all originating from kendal in the lake district.
And still some just say soap

And dark flake Scented and 1792 are my favourites
Currently smoking my first ever bowl of Grasmere flake ,that too has a strong Rose Geranium presence

spicy_boiii

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 5, 2020
Bay Area, California
Been smoking 1792 at work, as I notice it is easy to light, stay lit, and get the flavor I want out of it in less than perfect pipe/packing/lighting/wind conditions. Also it's N strong for short smokes.

While Dark Flake Scented isn't as idiot proof, I like it for a lot of the flavor similarities. I think DFS has more complexity, flavor, and natural sweetness, and the less nicotine is probably a positive as it has plenty enough.

They're both some of the few blends with any substantial Dark-Fired presence that I like.

Good review.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
As i have stated before here many times,you are correct there is no one lakeland smell/taste there are many different ones all originating from kendal in the lake district.
And still some just say soap

And dark flake Scented and 1792 are my favourites
Currently smoking my first ever bowl of Grasmere flake ,that too has a strong Rose Geranium presence
You're right Paul, need to revisit 1792 soon, i've kept away because too much of a good thing can spoil it.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The rose geranium flavor is a distinct thing. Some love it, and others don't. I like any flavoring to set off the tobacco, what I've seen called tobacco forward, but others want the flavoring right up front, so the smoke tastes like the tin smells. Rose geranium is why people decisively designate pipes, but it is why some people consider Lakeland aromatics the essence of pipe smoking.

Mtlpiper

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2019
Montreal, QC
Nice review Karam - I used to smoke this quite a bit back in the UK. IMHO nicer smoked as it comes (a little damp, as you did) than when dried out, where I find it loses a bit of dimension.

There are a few G&H blends that are rich with the scent of geranium. Will have to add it (again) to the growing list of 'to buy' whenever there's another G&H shipment (which, I imagine must be fairly soon). Enjoy it well.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Don't want to be misleading - they very well could be and I'm possibly imagining a dark fired component.
Whew, I thought for a second they may have been different and there was a whole blend I was missing out on haha. I get the dark fired too btw, but will just check whether it’s Kentucky or Virginia...yep dark fired Virginia is in the blend according to TR.com description

Reactions: Mtlpiper

Mtlpiper

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2019
Montreal, QC
Whew, I thought for a second they may have been different and there was a whole blend I was missing out on haha. I get the dark fired too btw, but will just check whether it’s Kentucky or Virginia...yep dark fired Virginia is in the blend according to TR.com description
The dark fired Virginia's from Malawi and India are some of what make G&H stuff so unique and interesting. I love that quality in Dark Plug too, where it's more intense.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Strange thing is I thought that Dark Flake is just cut from Dark Plug, however Dark Plug gave me an impression it has DFK, while DFS did not at all. Only smoked a small sample of Dark Plug though so far.