PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
So far I’ve smoked the Bright CR Flake, Whisky Twist Rope and Bob’s Chocolate Flake.

Nothing crazy here in Lakeland, just some mildness found in Bob’s but seems to wear out mid way, towards the end.

Today I opened up the ziplock baggie of Boson Cut Plug, that was rubbed out from SPC, man the smell out of the baggie almost knocked me out... LOL Smelled like cheap cologne/perfume, reminded me of Old Spice. LOL

I’m just drying out the Bosun at the moment, will report back on the tastes....

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I posted a ziplock baggie of rubbed out Bosun Flake I bought from SPC.

When I first opened the baggie to have a smell, it was very intense, the cologne/perfume scent, like if you took some cologne and poured into a handkerchief and took a big smell.

I literally sneezed really hard a few times the scent was so extreme.

I left the tabac in the ziplock baggie, placed inside a sealed container, I assumed it would be ok like this, without needing to put in a mason jar, the tabac had nice moisture.

Around 7-10 days later I open it up and if I had to take an educated guess, it smelled like 50% weaker the scent, even the taste wasn’t as strong. I’m really sad it’s lost a lot of punch, in such a short period of time, I never had other tabac blends react so sensitive to storage conditions like this.

The ambient temps and humidity are also really great at my house.

I hope I can get some more of this soon, this time straight to the mason jar.

I shouldn’t of said it smelled like cheap cologne/perfume. For those that might of seen my rant over this tabac before, sorry again, turns out it’s quite nice.

Has anyone had experience with the Gawith Hoggarth blends, that this sauce is very storage sensitive?

Hmm ?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Ahi Ka
Oct 7, 2016
I posted a ziplock baggie of rubbed out Bosun Flake I bought from SPC.

When I first opened the baggie to have a smell, it was very intense, the cologne/perfume scent, like if you took some cologne and poured into a handkerchief and took a big smell.

I literally sneezed really hard a few times the scent was so extreme.

I left the tabac in the ziplock baggie, placed inside a sealed container, I assumed it would be ok like this, without needing to put in a mason jar, the tabac had nice moisture.

Around 7-10 days later I open it up and if I had to take an educated guess, it smelled like 50% weaker the scent, even the taste wasn’t as strong. I’m really sad it’s lost a lot of punch, in such a short period of time, I never had other tabac blends react so sensitive to storage conditions like this.

The ambient temps and humidity are also really great at my house.

I hope I can get some more of this soon, this time straight to the mason jar.

I shouldn’t of said it smelled like cheap cologne/perfume. For those that might of seen my rant over this tabac before, sorry again, turns out it’s quite nice.

Has anyone had experience with the Gawith Hoggarth blends, that this sauce is very storage sensitive?

Hmm ?
Very much so, which is why peoples experience with them varies so much. This shipment of GH was, based on my boxes and bags and having a shop owner check some of his, was the freshest I have seen in years. Date codes of ones he and I checked were from September-November 2020. This shipment left Kendal middish November. I have had bags and boxes as much as 18 months old from the previous distributors, Arango and Phillips and King. With Bosun in particular it makes a huge difference. @BROBS can attest to that.

@shaneireland and @swilford, Laudisi did a great job getting this product out to the trade, rather than metering it out through artificial allocations. I understand more is coming soon, don’t let it sit around!

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I’m sure what I bought from SPC was fresh, it was a new batch they just got In a few weeks ago. The moisture and smell were great!

BUT my BIG question is, how storage sensitive is this blend? As I mentioned in less than 2 weeks the smell dropped off like 50% and the taste of the sauce weaker too.

So I’m having a difficult time believing that this blend lost so much flavor, smell and potency this fast....

Hmm

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I’m sure what I bought from SPC was fresh, it was a new batch they just got In a few weeks ago. The moisture and smell were great!

BUT my BIG question is, how storage sensitive is this blend? As I mentioned in less than 2 weeks the smell dropped off like 50% and the taste of the sauce weaker too.

So I’m having a difficult time believing that this blend lost so much flavor, smell and potency this fast....

Hmm
Welcome to the Lakeland’s addicts club bro. Law of diminishing returns ?

Jun 9, 2018
England
What’s that suppose to mean?

Can these blends seriously loose their punch of smell and flavor in a few weeks, if not immediately jarred upon purchase received?

Living in England the Gawith bulk I buy is normally very fresh. I haven't noticed any noticeable loss of either smell or flavour but I jar or mylar bag as soon as it arrives.

I just finished smoking some 2½ year old Ennerdale and it tasted as strong as the fresh stuff I've got. I actually think it improves with age.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
For what it’s worth I recently tried some 2018 Grasmere which had been double bagged in ziplocks but not jarred/Mylared. It had significantly lost its scent, but this was over 20-30months not a fortnight. How does the current scent strength of the SPC sample compare to the one you got from Boswells came?

Reactions: BROBS

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
The SPC was rubbed out, Boswell’s was a Plug.

The SPC smell was extremely potent over the Plug from Boswell’s, 10x stronger in smell.

I mentioned this before, the SPC blend, was like if you took cologne and poured a fair amount into a handkerchief and then literally stuck your nose in it and took a whiff, that powerful.

It made me sneeze really intense the first time I opened the bag and took a smell, this was the strongest smelling tabac I had ever smelled.

I’m so sad it’s lost the smell and taste of this sauce.

I just wonder if this blend received a double/triple dose of the sauce by mistake, and I wonder if and when I’ll be able to find some more Bosun like this.

Hmm :cry:

Oct 7, 2016
The SPC was rubbed out, Boswell’s was a Plug.

The SPC smell was extremely potent over the Plug from Boswell’s, 10x stronger in smell.

I mentioned this before, the SPC blend, was like if you took cologne and poured a fair amount into a handkerchief and then literally stuck your nose in it and took a whiff, that powerful.

It made me sneeze really intense the first time I opened the bag and took a smell, this was the strongest smelling tabac I had ever smelled.

I’m so sad it’s lost the smell and taste of this sauce.

I just wonder if this blend received a double/triple dose of the sauce by mistake, and I wonder if and when I’ll be able to find some more Bosun like this.

Hmm :cry:
This batch of Bosun smelled and tastes to me like it should. Most that I have tried over the last four or five years has been so clove dominant that the other flavorings could rarely be discerned. It is one of the most fragrant of the GH blends. Yes, it is storage sensitive, a point I tried to make in my earlier post.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
This batch of Bosun smelled and tastes to me like it should. Most that I have tried over the last four or five years has been so clove dominant that the other flavorings could rarely be discerned. It is one of the most fragrant of the GH blends. Yes, it is storage sensitive, a point I tried to make in my earlier post.

Ahh my bad, I overlooked your reply.

I think we all believe tabac is storage sensitive to a point, I guess up to what point in time is the problem.

Having 50% of a scent die out in less than 2 weeks, that seems overly extreme sensitivity.

What Smells and taste are you referring too?

The only smell I got was cologne.

I’m beginning to think, with the intense cologne scent I had, it was a fluke.

Hmm

Oct 7, 2016
Ahh my bad, I overlooked your reply.

I think we all believe tabac is storage sensitive to a point, I guess up to what point in time is the problem.

Having 50% of a scent die out in less than 2 weeks, that seems overly extreme sensitivity.

What Smells and taste are you referring too?

The only smell I got was cologne.

I’m beginning to think, with the intense cologne scent I had, it was a fluke.

Hmm
Nope, not a fluke. Those zip lock bags are trash. I got a definite smell of Rose Geranium (often characterized by some as floral) with clove.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I only had an intense cologne smell. Yes I know a baggie is not the way to go, but the point I’m trying to make is, I would never expect tabac to loose it’s intensity 50% of in 2 weeks.

I’ve smoked a lot of tabac, and I’ve never had any blends loose 50% of scent and flavor in 2 weeks, that were stored the same way.

The tabac was not just in a plastic baggie, but also stored in a sealed storage container.

The Fluke I am referring to is the extreme over powering scent of cologne in the tabac.

Anyhow, I hope I’ll be able to buy some more with this extreme scent to it, and I’ll be sure to jar it immediately.

Thanks

Reactions: BROBS and Ahi Ka

Mark 0092

Might Stick Around
Jan 9, 2021
Zug
hey, guys, one question. does anyone know if there is and where to find the brown flake hoggart but Plug version? is that there? thank you

Reactions: BROBS

jei64822

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2020
i'm in switzerland, i didn't ask synieco but i can't find it on the site nor on the internet brwon flake unscented gawith hoggart.

View attachment 66491
Ah, my apologies, I thought you were referencing the Samuel Gawith plug. Still, it wouldn't be a bad idea to reach out to Daniel and Synjeco. Very helpful guy, and he probably would have an idea of where to source it.

Reactions: BROBS and Mark 0092

Mark 0092

Might Stick Around
Jan 9, 2021
Zug
Ah, my apologies, I thought you were referencing the Samuel Gawith plug. Still, it wouldn't be a bad idea to reach out to Daniel and Synjeco. Very helpful guy, and he probably would have an idea of where to source it.
I know Daniel very well and he confirms that he doesn't exist ... I don't even find him on UK sites but there is a review on tobacco review. no matter I have the flake which is also very good.

Icona di Verificata con community

Reactions: BROBS and jei64822

jei64822

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2020
I know Daniel very well and he confirms that he doesn't exist ... I don't even find him on UK sites but there is a review on tobacco review. no matter I have the flake which is also very good.

View attachment 66640
Thats too bad. Glad you like the flake though, I've been meaning to try it out myself!

Reactions: BROBS and Mark 0092
Status
Not open for further replies.