PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
For some reason, Cumberland scored large on my palate in 2002, especially given the idiosyncratic Mahogany from the bale Tarler and Pease scored.
Also, I fell head over heals for the Pease mystique that he so ably marketed in the early 2000s. He was a lot more available then through a variety of media, forums and blogs on his site. Although he retracted some of his views on aging, he was the goto guy on matters as specific as what blend X would be like in 5 or 10 years. Behind the blender was the writer and photographer. He was and remains a very talented guy. In addition to Cumberland I found Quiet Nights and Gaslight impeccable lat heavy/Oriental rich blends.
The lat in Fillmore is not discernible. It's used to season the red VA.

Reactions: oldtoby

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
I am going to have to revisit Fillmore sooner than later and update my thoughts to see how much smokey flavor I am actually getting or thought I got.
But to GL Pease's mystique, I find myself surfing Pease's website and reading his descriptions, how the fresh tobacco tastes and how it will be in the future. Very enlightening descriptions, can only imagine the way it was when he first got big on the scene. And more than half my stash is his, so its working on me.
I just bought two tins of Cairo. If it smokes as it is describes, this will be a very good smoke. They have January date stamps so going to hide them till later this year!

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
Union Square is now my favourite tobacco from Pease. It somehow reminds me of a storehouse. With my current palate I miss more sweet notes though, also with other his blends. With the winter coming in I'll smoke more blends with Latakia and maybe find them sweeter.
G. L. Pease tobaccos (at least a non-Latakia ones) seem to be the best choice for "seniors", for those who smoke "the real stuff". :) I don't count myself in, my cravings for sugar make me feel like a kid, unable to enjoy a trully pure tobacco taste that only real men can handle. ?

tabakpfeife

Might Stick Around
Jan 18, 2019
I like Union Square (VA) and Telegraph Hill (VAPER). The Union Square has to age, I believe, and gets sweeter and more mellow.

Reactions: luigi

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
Try out Westminster.
Will do, already have one tin waiting in a long row of different Burleys.
I had smoked Odyssey but it was a pain to smoke through, it had almost made me hate Latakia, I can still remember that strong smell in the sinuses hours after smoking.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
Union Square is good stuff. Just smoked some 3 yr old, tempted to pop a 2019 tin to compare. Cumberland may be my fav GLP. Hard to say with Triple Play sitting next to it. Temple Bar is always in my cellar, and Navigator.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Triple Play, Cairo (To me is similar to C&D Sunbear w/o topping) Haddo’s Delight, Barbary Coast, and Temple Bar.

Fillmore was good, but the kiss of Latakia was different. Not Smokey, just kind of meaty.

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
Stonehenge Flake, Union Square are in my current rotation. I just opened a tin of Regents Flake, and I need a few more bowls before I can decide if it's a keeper for me. I haven't smoked 965 or Night Cap in quite sometime, but you may want to try some of the blends offered by Drucquer & Sons.

Reactions: dquisenberry

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Go to these threads and they will provide some help, so you don't have to reinvent the wheel. It will save you time.

Tips And Tricks For New Forum Site
New Site Changeover: Going Again Friday, Sept. 6
Testing

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.