PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Triple Play was excellent. GLP Westminster, the Lat went flat after a month or two, so I finished the tin by adding condiment tobaccos. I still have unopened Gaslight and Haddo's. I would order Triple Play again, for sure.

cfreud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2014
Love the conversation. Just from my experience, GLP blends take a while for me to learn them, i.e., how to pack his blends, how to smoke them and which pipes tobaccos go in. If you're sampling, smoke at least the full tin in different pipes/packing/cadence before making a judgement.

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
Beefeater,
Yes, my statement of TB and RF being one in the same was based on the TR posting. I'm not sure if Greg himself writes those descriptions up or if someone else does. Here's the link:
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/10649/g-l-pease-regents-flake
I must say the two have some differences and I can taste perique in both of them. IMO the differences (which are subtle) are possibly due to the the flake versus plug and curing....plus possibly how you slice the plug or crumble it. But again, only Greg would know.

okiebrad

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 13, 2016
I have only sampled 2 GLP blends. Love the smell of Jack Knife plug but lacks the flavor I crave. I do enjoy Sextant and have a few tins tucked away.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
kola-

I stand corrected......... I think you're right.

I just visited Greg's website, he states that TB is "made from the same components, but optimized for presentation as a plug"

I have not yet tried the Regents flake, but I do enjoy Temple Bar on occasion.............. :puffy:

Jun 27, 2016
I guess that Odyssey is my favorite GLP, and with 1+ years of age it seems even better. But I haven't had many others, and didn't like Gaslight or Westminster, and I don't think that I'm a big fan of Union Square or Embarcadero either, although I will be smoking more of those again soon to see how it is doing. I would probably smoke the Embarcadero before the Union Square, though. I have some QN to try as well, so we will see how that goes. Not a big Perique fan, so we will see. :puffpipe:

bosmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2017
At the top of my GLP favs is Sextant, followed by Lombard, Union Square and Embarcedero.

I like to give my tins a year of age before popping so I am eagerly awaiting a whole bunch of GLP blends I got hanging out in my cellar. Gaslight is at the top of that list, Followed by Quite Nights and Maltese Falcon.

Most should be ready around October which is at the beginning of the "Latakia" season for me.

jmsmitty6

Can't Leave
Jan 12, 2018
Cincinnati, Ohio
VA/Vaper GLP blends in my regular rotation: Union Square, Montgomery and many 'on deck' in the cellar. I'm also a big fan of Quiet Nights, Abington, and Westminster. I have found that all of the blends that I have had from him taste better with age then fresh

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
Being from the UK I don't have too much experience of GLP blends. I did however have a tin of Westminster which was about 11 years old. I cracked it a week ago and it is wonderful! Some English/Balkan blends can go a little flat over time but this tastes fresh and balanced. Unfortunately I don't have any 'young' Westminster to compare it to. I do have a couple of tins of Regents Flake which I will let sit for a year or two.
Mike

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
So, how many of their blends are flakes? Union Square and Quiet Nights are, which is why I ordered them. The only non flakes I smoke are Dunhill NC and 965, so if Quiet Nights is a suitable replacement, I'll be pretty happy.
What other GLP blends are flakes, broken flakes, or plugs?

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
I can't help but fluff up GLP blends. No affiliation whatsoever.
For the aro lovers, this may be one to try. Greg teamed up with Tarler? and made a blend under the Two Friends label and called it English Chocolate. I like it on occasions very much and it's a great crossover for an aro smoker to experience the English/Balkan style. My ladyfriend goes nuts over the pleasant room note which is always a plus. It sure beats her freaking out over my heavy lat blends and those soapy/floral stinkers. ;)
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/4228/two-friends-english-chocolate

Reactions: stogie37

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Ok, I popped the Quiet Nights tin. Awesome! It's not 965 or Night Cap. I think it's something in between. It has the smoothness of 965 without the heavy smokiness of NC, but the perique gives it a little extra kick that 965 doesn't have.
I absolutely love it! Wow, it's definitely a worthy replacement for 965/NC.
Between this and Union Square, I think GLP is going to be my new favorite company now that Dunhill and McClelland have gone out of business.

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
I agree with what cfreud wrote. I have also found that sometimes it takes a new pipe, new packing method, a few months of age in a jar, or an adjustment to drying time in order to see it in its best light.
My favorite GLP blends are (in order) Quiet NIghts, Sixpence, Union Square, Chelsea Morning, and Stonehenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.