Frustration Not Relaxation

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

I don't even understand this whole relaxation thing. If the sun is shining, I never set down unless it is to drive or work at my bench. I am constantly go go go go. I work each day until I am either told to stop by my wife or I am just too tired to be precise. I have never ever wanted relaxation nor has it ever appealed to me in any way. WTF is so special about relaxing? Sounds like something lazy duffuses do.

Even when my wife makes me set down to watch a series or movie, I will sketch or draw or try to find something to be productive while the braindrain TV is on.

Relaxing to me is riding my bike, jogging (if I can), swimming, or something along those lines. I even hate going to bed. I have to force myself to sleep with strong tobaccos, and I can barely stay there past 4AM each morning. I have never slept late in my life, and do not see any appeal.

When i hear that tobacco is relaxing... I have absolutely no idea what you mean, unless you are talking about how too much nicotine makes you sleepy.

How the hell do you people get anything done, setting around doing nothing but smoking?

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
I don't even understand this whole relaxation thing. If the sun is shining, I never set down unless it is to drive or work at my bench. I am constantly go go go go. I work each day until I am either told to stop by my wife or I am just too tired to be precise. I have never ever wanted relaxation nor has it ever appealed to me in any way. WTF is so special about relaxing? Sounds like something lazy duffuses do.

Even when my wife makes me set down to watch a series or movie, I will sketch or draw or try to find something to be productive while the braindrain TV is on.

Relaxing to me is riding my bike, jogging (if I can), swimming, or something along those lines. I even hate going to bed. I have to force myself to sleep with strong tobaccos, and I can barely stay there past 4AM each morning. I have never slept late in my life, and do not see any appeal.

When i hear that tobacco is relaxing... I have absolutely no idea what you mean, unless you are talking about how too much nicotine makes you sleepy.

How the hell do you people get anything done, setting around doing nothing but smoking?
"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men." - Willy Wonka

On a bad golf day, I feel like I am on a sadistic Easter egg hunt. Once I find that damned ball, it's hard to bring myself to hit it again. puffy

Yeh, unless I am getting tongue bite, I just push through bad days. Better to not taste the tobacco than to not be smoking at all. IMO.

I am stealing that "Sadistic Easter5 egg hunt" line.... it's choice. :) rotf

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
But, I usually just go ahead and set whole tins or jars on my coffee mug warmer until it is perfect, so I don't have to keep finding new ways to dry a bowls worth each time.

That's how I do it as well, I find a heat source and place the whole jar or tin close to it, then dry the whole thing. If I don't finish it in 2 weeks or so, it becomes wet again. RH is 91% here right now. I can't plan smoking a pipe 2 hours in advance, kudos to people who can do it. And that's why I love dry tobaccos, such as Five Brothers or Dunhill (Peterson) blends.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Within the past few weeks or so, I have been 'treating' myself to a pipe occasionally as I finish some outdoor work. But maybe I've forgotten everything, maybe its something else, but I feel like I'm starting from scratch.

I dry out the leaf all morning, and still can't keep a pipe lit. I'm not getting any flavor at all, just burning. I'm either going too fast to keep it lit, burning my tongue, or going too slow and lighting again.

Doesn't matter the pipe I pick or the blend, its just frustrating that it completely negates the whole reason for smoking a pipe in the first place!

Anyone else have to start from scratch ever?
sort of. Until recently I never really smoked the pipe regularly. Well except when I was a teenager then I smoked the pipe almost daily on my long walks. And after my longest hiatus I didn't have horrible smokes but they where a touch rusty. Pipe smoking is really more of a knack then a skill in my opinion. I also personally don't buy how dry people think tobacco should be I think a touch more moisture helps. My ideal dryness is what you get when you put it in a ball jar for about a week.

Magpiety

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City

If you're really asking--it's distinguishing between useful work and useless toil.

I have a little country law firm with 3 employees, own and run a small bookstore with 5 employees, operate an 'institute' through the bookstore where we have speakers, classes, and various reading groups (and soon a literary journal!), work a 100-share CSA farm, operate a wedding venue on my farm, and I'm studying for a PhD in Philology in my spare time. These things take a lot of time, but I reserve 45mins in the morning and evening just for having a pipe and a drink, I have an hour for leisure reading in the afternoon, and I read to my kids for 30 mins every evening. "Doing nothing but smoking" between all of the clients, chores, customers, and studying gives my day shape, and reestablishes order in those brief moments during the chaos.

WTF is so special about relaxing? Sounds like something lazy duffuses do.

Well... I'm definitely a doofus, but I don't think I have the free time to be lazy. Maybe I'm a lazy doofus strictly in certain time slots during the day.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Desperate times call for desperate measures...probably worth loading up a bowl in your aliexpress Chinese pipe @mikethompson

Its still pending delivery, but will keep you posted!

I think you were trying too hard, and thinking too much

Maybe, but so many times in a row? Also, I have never been accused of thinking too much.

There are other things out there too, like hormonal changes. Losing your taste is sometimes a medical problem.

Does food taste the same?

I don't think i am going through menopause. Everything tastes the same and I'm not sick. Its frustrating that I can't pin it down to anything.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I have had some off day smokes. I actually sometimes do better walking, though. I think it treats my ADHD so I can just backchannel the smoking and get into a groove.

elnoblecigarro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 27, 2020

Relaxing and sleeping is the best thing in the world. I think this is a personality thing. Some people need constant stimulation. I hate waking up early, it's one of the banes of my existence. Today I started working at 9 at and I feel much better than when I have to start at 8 or even 7 which is horrible. I love silence too.

For me smoking is all about relaxation, just sitting or standing alone with my thoughts. Enjoying the flavor and act of smoking. Nicotine tends to make me relaxed too (sometimes a bit sleepy even).

In my opinion this whole "be productive" is nonsense. We all end up in coffins or urns soon to be forgotten anyways. If there is no enjoyment derived from working then one should work the bare minimum needed to achieve the goal at hand. Taking care of ones health and all other mundane matters in general is enough. I wish I won the the lottery so I could just relax all day. I do the things that need to be done and then I relax and enjoy myself. I have decided that I would rather not own that much or work that much, just enough to cover my necessities and live with minimum stress. If this makes me lazy then lazy I am.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Within the past few weeks or so, I have been 'treating' myself to a pipe occasionally as I finish some outdoor work. But maybe I've forgotten everything, maybe its something else, but I feel like I'm starting from scratch.
Here's the problem...you're doing the outdoor work first and then smoking a pipe. Today, smoke the pipe first and put off the outdoor work until tomorrow. Do the same tomorrow...smoke pipe, put off work. Repeat everyday until you don't feel like a noob. The outdoor work won't get done, but you'll enjoy your pipe.