PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Within the past few weeks or so, I have been 'treating' myself to a pipe occasionally as I finish some outdoor work. But maybe I've forgotten everything, maybe its something else, but I feel like I'm starting from scratch.

I dry out the leaf all morning, and still can't keep a pipe lit. I'm not getting any flavor at all, just burning. I'm either going too fast to keep it lit, burning my tongue, or going too slow and lighting again.

Doesn't matter the pipe I pick or the blend, its just frustrating that it completely negates the whole reason for smoking a pipe in the first place!

Anyone else have to start from scratch ever?

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
I too seem to have bad sessions if I'm too stressed and am 'needy' for a pipe. I tend not to enjoy those times. I probably smoke too fast and am too impatient to repack if it is a bit too tight a pack. All is much better when I'm already somewhat
relaxed.

Last edited:

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Within the past few weeks or so, I have been 'treating' myself to a pipe occasionally as I finish some outdoor work. But maybe I've forgotten everything, maybe its something else, but I feel like I'm starting from scratch.

I dry out the leaf all morning, and still can't keep a pipe lit. I'm not getting any flavor at all, just burning. I'm either going too fast to keep it lit, burning my tongue, or going too slow and lighting again.

Doesn't matter the pipe I pick or the blend, its just frustrating that it completely negates the whole reason for smoking a pipe in the first place!

Did you normally smoke while doing activities or not?

brut666

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2020
Kent, "The Garden Of England"
It's just like golf, some days I'll rival tiger woods, other days I should stay at home. Frustrating when smoking as you get more and more frustrated as it goes more and more wrong ?

It's just like golf, some days...
On a bad golf day, I feel like I am on a sadistic Easter egg hunt. Once I find that damned ball, it's hard to bring myself to hit it again. puffy

Yeh, unless I am getting tongue bite, I just push through bad days. Better to not taste the tobacco than to not be smoking at all. IMO.

Papamique

Mar 11, 2020

i recently lost all sense of taste and smell. Pipes just burn with no flavor no matter what. Food? Nothing. Smells of rubbing alcohol, bleach, candles? Nothing. In fact, it was smoking a pipe that this became evident. I am waiting on my COVID test results.

i recently lost all sense of taste and smell. Pipes just burn with no flavor no matter what. Food? Nothing. Smells of rubbing alcohol, bleach, candles? Nothing. In fact, it was smoking a pipe that this became evident. I am waiting on my COVID test results.
Every morning, when I wake up, the first thing I do is start sniffing to see if I can smell the automatic coffeemaker brewing. If I don't smell it right away, I sniff the dog. If in the event that I can't smell him, I will go immediately into quarantine. I was sniffing my wife, but she didn't get as excited at me sniffing her as the dog does. puffy

brut666

Oct 7, 2020
Kent, "The Garden Of England"
Every morning, when I wake up, the first thing I do is start sniffing to see if I can smell the automatic coffeemaker brewing. If I don't smell it right away, I sniff the dog. If in the event that I can't smell him, I will go immediately into quarantine. I was sniffing my wife, but she didn't get as excited at me sniffing her as the dog does. puffy
Maybe you wasn't sniffing her hard enough ??‍♂️

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I don’t know. I’ve heard of folks having problems with multitasking with a pipe. That’s pretty much my norm though. I mostly smoke while clenching the pipe and doing stuff with my hands. I never have an issue, other than on the occasion I smoke a cigar instead. Sometimes I forget I’m smoking a cigar instead of a pipe and reach out to grab my pipe bowl to get a swig of coffee or something, and end up knocking the ash off my cigar ?
I mentioned in another thread that clenching is honestly what forced me to discover the breathe method, before I even knew it was a thing. Completely changed my pipe smoking for the better. Maybe try that? ?‍♂️

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

OneGoodBulldog

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2020
Oh yes I've had frustrating bowls! Like the one I had yesterday after my roommate accused me of being sexist for treating her with respect. At 10:45am. On November 11th. In Canada. Pretty sure I smoked that bowl way too hard and was frustrated.

Reactions: SoddenJack
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Oh yes I've had frustrating bowls! Like the one I had yesterday after my roommate accused me of being sexist for treating her with respect. At 10:45am. On November 11th. In Canada. Pretty sure I smoked that bowl way too hard and was frustrated.
Oh yeah, hard to have a good bowl when pissed. I don’t even try if I’m angry.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan

How do you dry it? By leaving in the open air? Did you check the humidity, sometimes it is too humid that instead of drying, tobacco soaks more moisture from air.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
My best smokes tend to be while I’m working in the garden doing some monotonous task. I normally even forget I’m smoking, in a good way.

I lost the ability to taste or even enjoy tobacco for about a month last year. It was during a time where I was trying lots of different blends and I got palette overload. I then accidentally took a larger than expected swig of whiskey after trying to smoke an aro which was too wet. So much for sitting down for a nice evening, my tongue went on fire instantly. Suffice to say, I can no longer smoke and drink alcohol simultaneously anymore. I need to seperate them.

Reactions: NomadOrb

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Are you tense, or stressed when you are loading your bowl?

I too seem to have bad sessions if I'm too stressed

I’ve heard of folks having problems with multitasking with a pipe.

Oh yeah, hard to have a good bowl when pissed

That's the thing. I was perfectly relaxed and calm. I was perfectly prepared for a nice little smoke. I did everything the same as I usually do, but with terrible results. This isn't just one time either, at least 4 times in a row.

Did you normally smoke while doing activities or not?

If I try to smoke a pipe while I'm doing "some outdoor work" I end up not having a very relaxing or satisfying smoke.

Nope, all the work was done.

How do you dry it? By leaving in the open air? Did you check the humidity, sometimes it is too humid that instead of drying, tobacco soaks more moisture from air.

I just laid it out on a plate in the open air. Humidity wasn't too much of a problem. It was set out for at least 2 hours as well.

I am waiting on my COVID test results.
Yikes! Well hopefully it comes back negative.

Reactions: Country Bladesmith

Magpiety

Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City
Sometimes it's like that after a bad day. It's almost guaranteed that after a bad day in the office, then finding out that the pigs broke their paddock and got out, hearing that some predators killed a few chickens, and learning that my son learned a swear word from the show I was watching the night before... I'll have a too wet, packed to tight, tongue scorching smoke

Way she goes, boys.