PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
I pretty much use the same ratios, although closer to 1:15 on pour-over.

I'm going to try the 1:1 or 1:2 espresso. What ratio do you use for Americano?
1:15 is my preferred for pour over or Mokkamaster auto-drip. 1:10 for Aeropress when I make that. I think my Breville takes about 15-16g in the portafilter. It actually makes darn near perfect espresso. Great cream and about a 20 second shot.

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
My wife gifted me a very nice espresso machine for Christmas.

And we have a local coffee roaster that is a 4 minute walk from our house that specializes in Single Origin (sometimes even "Single Field") coffee that they roast right there. I haven't gotten a chance to try them yet because they are expensive and I'm a noob, so I figure I wouldn't do them justice.

But their Espresso Roast is amazing and a decent price. So I've got my machine set up for those beans and let me tell you, it's some of the best espresso I've ever had. Makes really good lattes and other drinks as well.

I'll usually have 2-3 espressos throughout the day, but I won't have any after 4pm. Messes with my sleep.

But I will drink any good cup-o-joe as long as it's got some flavor. I'm not a snob by any means.

pcfdave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2021
Anyone here using home roasting units? If so what kinds and reviews? I’m entertaining upping my game and buying a kaffelogic nano 7 unit from NZ. Wanting more control and quality with sample batches I roast

Reactions: onestrangeone

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
I had the Gene Cafe for many years. It did a good job but if I were buying a roaster now I would get something like the Kaffelogic, Ikawa or Roest. More money up front but much more control over the roast and the ability to program and store profiles. The Gene Cafe can roast more beans at a time than these "sample roasters" but if you want to drink the freshest coffee higher volume is not necessarily an advantage.

Reactions: pcfdave
Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
My wife gifted me a very nice espresso machine for Christmas.

And we have a local coffee roaster that is a 4 minute walk from our house that specializes in Single Origin (sometimes even "Single Field") coffee that they roast right there. I haven't gotten a chance to try them yet because they are expensive and I'm a noob, so I figure I wouldn't do them justice.

But their Espresso Roast is amazing and a decent price. So I've got my machine set up for those beans and let me tell you, it's some of the best espresso I've ever had. Makes really good lattes and other drinks as well.

I'll usually have 2-3 espressos throughout the day, but I won't have any after 4pm. Messes with my sleep.

But I will drink any good cup-o-joe as long as it's got some flavor. I'm not a snob by any means.
What machine did you get? :)

Reactions: dunnyboy

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
It's the Breville Barista Express. Not top-of-line, but pretty nice for us.

It took a little tinkering to get it dialed in for the beans that we use, but once set up, it pulls a pretty nice shot of espresso.

My only critique would be that it takes a little while to switch the pressure from the espresso pump to the steam wand, but beyond that, it's been great.

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
I ran out of Herkimer's Espresso Roast so I picked up some Espresso beans from Lighthouse Roasters in Fremont. I'm not as thrilled with the flavor of these as I am the Herkimer beans. Herkimer's beans are all bright and lively with berry and citrus with some cocoa notes.

Lighthouse is a much darker tone with more dark chocolate, leather and well...just dark. None of the bright acidity that I generally like. It's not too bad when mixed with milk, but it's just not my jam as a straight espresso.

It's not the end of the world, and I'll still use them. I just won't go out of my way to get them.

pcfdave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2021
Anyone here have recommendations of great coffee brewing and roasting books to read ?

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
G
I just put in an oder with them, going to try some of their medium roasts.

Good stuff! My most recent order just ran out, but out of town for an appointment tomorrow and there is a little coffee shop there with really good blends I like to support, so will get some beans there that will last a bit. But Iron Bean is always in the “rotation”.

Reactions: dunnyboy