PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For years my wife and I drank dark custom roasts from local artisan coffee roasters like Larry's Beans and Muddy Dog, both in our area. But the separate errand required to get those without having them shipped at extra expense, and the premium prices, eventually shifted us over to the best standard product we preferred which is Chuck Full of Nuts, though that is an odd name for ground coffee. We sometimes vary our brand, but mostly it's that. Some roasters try too hard and jazz up the beans with other flavors, but neither of us is a fan of that. Just coffee beans for us. My wife likes it brewed in a French press, and I like it made in a stove-top percolator. When I posted about the percolator on Forums the first time, one of the other members said, "Dad, is that you?"

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Growing up it was Mellow Joy, then Seaport, Community later, liked to drink it at my Dads parents, little drip pot, boiling water slowly added to 3 inch cream on top. Served in tiny cups so black it would stain the cups and jolt you , you tasted it most of the day. In the Sixties I ate the coffee out of the C rats, chewed it straight. Back in the World, I stayed with grandparents and had their strong brew. Working at Exxon got my big boss to get us a double bun, they bought the grounds, I drank it, plenty of it. Later wife and I switched back to Community, but quality was off and on, switched to Starbucks where we are now,
. Don’t know what I would do without the morning brew!1

AlanH

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 29, 2021
North Alabama
Fresh roasted even in a popcorn popper or whirly pot is so good. The beans smell like baked goods after 24 hours. Coffee from the store smells like mold when you compare it to fresh roast . I am not a coffee snob nor a Pipe blend snob. I I like all forms of coffee but fresh roasted is a pretty special thing.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Growing up it was Mellow Joy, then Seaport, Community later, liked to drink it at my Dads parents, little drip pot, boiling water slowly added to 3 inch cream on top. Served in tiny cups so black it would stain the cups and jolt you , you tasted it most of the day. In the Sixties I ate the coffee out of the C rats, chewed it straight. Back in the World, I stayed with grandparents and had their strong brew. Working at Exxon got my big boss to get us a double bun, they bought the grounds, I drank it, plenty of it. Later wife and I switched back to Community, but quality was off and on, switched to Starbucks where we are now,
. Don’t know what I would do without the morning brew!1
I remember C-Rat coffee from 70s. Loved C-Rat. Everything that came in can was neat. Felt like all the US C-Rat in Vietnam came to S. Korea.

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
This week’s roast,,
Guatemala Antigua, Pulcal Inteligente
Brown Sugar, Chocolate and Herbal Tea notes

Mexican Altura, Chiapas Serranos
Floral, creamy, nutty with some chocolate notes
Those coffees sound amazing! I had to give up roasting because I no longer live in a house with a hood that vents to the outside. Luckily, I have half a dozen excellent specialty roasters in my neighborhood. But nothing beats roasting your own!

Some questions:

How do you prepare your coffee? I drink 15gm of lightly-roasted beans as pour-over in the morning and 20gm of medium roast as espresso around 1 PM. (Any more than that and it affects my sleep.)

How much do you roast at a time and how often do you roast? I only consume about 10oz a week. Given my consumption, anything more than a sample roaster would be inefficient.

Which leads to my final question: how do you store your coffee? And for how long? For variety, I usually have three 12oz bags going at any one time and need a good way to keep the beans fresh.

Sep 18, 2015
Those coffees sound amazing! I had to give up roasting because I no longer live in a house with a hood that vents to the outside. Luckily, I have half a dozen excellent specialty roasters in my neighborhood. But nothing beats roasting your own!

Some questions:

How do you prepare your coffee? I drink 15gm of lightly-roasted beans as pour-over in the morning and 20gm of medium roast as espresso around 1 PM. (Any more than that and it affects my sleep.)

How much do you roast at a time and how often do you roast? I only consume about 10oz a week. Given my consumption, anything more than a sample roaster would be inefficient.

Which leads to my final question: how do you store your coffee? And for how long? For variety, I usually have three 12oz bags going at any one time and need a good way to keep the beans fresh.
Hey, David,
I really enjoy roasting my own, this and my Kamado grill were both investments that have been more than worthwhile.
I do 28 g in a French press for a morning brew, this is usually something on the chocolate, nutty side of the spectrum.
The afternoon brew is 32 g in a pour over, usually something fruity, spicy. The morning brew tends to be a medium roast and the afternoon is usually a bit lighter.
I roast once a week and store the roasted coffee in Mason jars inside a cabinet, when I put the lid on the jar I don’t tighten it so it can still offgas without letting air in. Green coffee is stored in airtight tubs in a dark closet.
I added an extension the exhaust on the machine to get it directly under the vent hood, wondering if its possible for you to exhaust yours out of a window? Or maybe up the chimney?

Kobold

Lifer
Feb 2, 2022
Maryland
I remember C-Rat coffee from 70s. Loved C-Rat. Everything that came in can was neat. Felt like all the US C-Rat in Vietnam came to S. Korea.
I love the c rat coffee. I’m always on the lookout for c rats or any accessory packets when I got to antiques stores. The coffee is usually still really good if it doesn’t get hit with mold.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I quit alcohol and basically traded my whiskey addiction for coffee.
Grind 30 min before the roast, pour over. That's my best result.
I also cut back on how much I drank once I started drinking nicer coffee
I generally drink less coffee since I got into pour over about 6 - 7 years ago. A really good mug early in the morning usually is enough (and we don't bother to make it at work any more, though there is now a Keurig and I have some Iron Bean pods that I'll occasionally drop in this time of year).

Right now I order from Iron Bean and Olympia, but I'll go back to or try other roasters who are online. There's a coffee shop about 100 miles from here that I'll stop in and pick up bags from if I'm in town, which I am 4-6 times a year. I like my flavor notes from the coffee and avoid flavored beans 99.9% of the time.

pcfdave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2021
Hey, David,
I really enjoy roasting my own, this and my Kamado grill were both investments that have been more than worthwhile.
I do 28 g in a French press for a morning brew, this is usually something on the chocolate, nutty side of the spectrum.
The afternoon brew is 32 g in a pour over, usually something fruity, spicy. The morning brew tends to be a medium roast and the afternoon is usually a bit lighter.
I roast once a week and store the roasted coffee in Mason jars inside a cabinet, when I put the lid on the jar I don’t tighten it so it can still offgas without letting air in. Green coffee is stored in airtight tubs in a dark closet.
I added an extension the exhaust on the machine to get it directly under the vent hood, wondering if its possible for you to exhaust yours out of a window? Or maybe up the chimney?
Just got the bug and started roasting my own. I love the process and the hobby. Just usingg get an air popper which unfortunately when you start really learning the process you can’t do much to control the variables. Looking to up my game. Love the topic and posts. Cheers

Reactions: dunnyboy

pcfdave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2021

Some questions:

Great questions. I just tried a French press versus a pour over with my roasted beans and was surprised how different the flavor profile was in changing up the process. Cheers