PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshb83

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2015
Hi guys, I'm reasonably new to the site. I got into pipe smoking during my last deployment to Afghanistan, especially as cigars were just getting so expensive for a few days worth of smoke. I jumped into it as soon as i saw a refund from uncle sam. I now have a Peterson Churchwarden and a Wessex Bristol both with nice bends and great design. I love the them both. So much batter than the hand-me-down-Medico i was using during the deployment (crack in the stem covered in epoxy and all) Needless to say, my Medico is no more. Ive tried to pick up some tobaccos, but limited to OTC Capt. Black around me and a CAO sampler i had picked up during the deployment. Love the aromatics, and willing to try anything. Glad to be home from deployments after what seemed to be 2 years of back to back deployments, but great to be home to hopefully expand on my new found hobby and spend much needed time with the family. Thanks for the welcoming hospitality and great advice along the way. I hope to be around to participate and give back as i become more seasoned. This is a great program you have. Thanks again guys!

chlorophil7

Might Stick Around
Feb 19, 2015
So my wife made me some new historical attire, and while she was taking some photos of me in them I smoked one of my new pipes!

The tobacco I used was "Taste of Summer" by Sutliff Tobacco.
This was the third pipe I've smoked so far, with the other two times being Newminster No. 9R Rich Vanilla 2/5 Aromatic in a Dr. Grabow OMEGA, and Newminster 3 Very Cherry 1/5 Aromatic in a M.M. cob.
This has to be the winner tobacco I have tried so far! I liked the taste, and the smell out of the can is drool worthy.
Being new, I believe I smoked this one too fast. I think I gave my self tongue bite (or what ever it is called when you burn your self in the back of the cheek), but not badly thankfully to things that I have read here! Anyway there's the quick update!
And here are some photos of me enjoying your generosity!

DSC07237.jpg

DSC07240.jpg

DSC07235.jpg

joshb83

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2015
Haven't heard anything as of yet, but I just want to say whether or not my name comes up in the list, I am honored to be welcomed into a group of such generous peopl that so freely give instead of throwing away a surplus. Never thought people still existed like that, it's good to see hobbies and chivalry don't die. You just need to know where to look. These guys are pretty lucky, and I love the pics! Keep it up. I would love to donate as my collection grows but as with everything it takes time. Keep it up guys!

elliotks

Lurker
Mar 3, 2015
Dave told me to post here to make the list official so here we go.
I am 18 years old and just began smoking pipes. I have smoked Lane 1q, an aromatic house blend by a local B&M, Frog Morton Across the Pond, and I have sampled Dunhills EMP. After practicing the pack, several terrible smokes, and much frustration, I finally got a taste out of the Lane 1q. It was overwhelming how proud I felt, along with sinking into a state of utter content.
I have pretty heavy ADHD and never sit still. Haha I always travel with unsharpened #2 pencils to twirl around just so I can keep moving. However with that first good smoke, I was calm and at peace for the rest of the night. I assure you I cannot remember the last time that occurred. With pipe smoking I have found relaxation, peace, and new-found appreciation of the world around me.
As for my preferences, I have quite a sweet tooth. I loved the lane 1q marshmallow taste and aroma, with a bit of chocolate and vanilla. I somewhat enjoyed the EMP, but the pipe was not broken in and I most likely smoked it incorrectly. I did not enjoy Frog Morton Across the Pond. ATP did not have much taste, and the taste I did get was atrocious. Granted with ATP my pipe was not broken in, but I just have this feeling that I would not enjoy it with a properly caked pipe. As far as nicotine tolerance goes, I have a pretty weak tolerance for it. With all of that said, I am open to trying anything. So far I have only liked aromatics, but I would love to explore more.
For pipes I have a Savinelli Oom Pau and a Savinelli Iwan Reis in a Yachtsmen shape. The Iwan Reis has given me more of a pleasurable smoke and has more of a cake built up.
I have always wanted to enjoy coffee, beer, wine, and other "sophisticated" cuisine that you can grow in knowledge, manufacturer,aroma, and develop a palate in that arena. I first looked towards cigars, but I found them both too expensive and boring. However with a pipe it just fits. The taste of the tobacco, the artistry in the pipe, the ritual and art of packing, the tactile experience of interacting with the pipe, various blends from inexpensive to relatively pricey (not even close to cigars), and the ability to grow in knowledge, blends, and the depth to develop a palate.
All of that being said, I would be immensely grateful if I could get my name on the list for the free pipe projects.

joshb83

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2015
Welcome to the group Elliott, I'm envious of your pipes. It's good to hear that you found something that can give you a break from what I'm sure seems like a super active life. I wish us the best of luck as we both continue in this hobby and hopefully there's enoguh for us both. Hope to hear from you more here! You won't be disappointed by the generous group.

elliotks

Lurker
Mar 3, 2015
Thanks Josh, I'm glad I found this hobby. I can't wait to explore it more and the pleasures that accompany them. What a better hobby to find with such an amazing community both online and offline! As I am 18 and grew up around the taboo death stigma of tobacco, I was hesitant to start. However not only did I find that pipe tobacco is not addictive, but that it will most likely add years to my life in terms of stress reduction. Super stoked to a lifetime of smoking!
Thanks,
Elliot K. Shuster

n240sxguy

Lurker
Sep 21, 2014
I got my box in yesterday. Wow is all I can say! It was like every time I took something out, there were two more things to take it's place. Soooo much tobacco! I got a nice straight Big Ben, and another straight one that I can't identify. It has a bowl the size of a 2 gauge shotgun barrel. It's huge! Here's the pics from unboxing. I'll put up some more when I get a chance to light them up.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Nice pics, the larger pipe has 2 stems and is an early 1980's Reiner. It was donated by elpfeife. One takes a filter the other does not. The Big Ben is one of the many cool little unsmoked pipes that I Got in from an unnamed source.

n240sxguy

Lurker
Sep 21, 2014
That's cool. I didn't realize the difference in the stems besides the band on one. I saw a scroll letter on the band, maybe it was an "R". A piece of history, and a pretty unsmoked one. Good stuff!

skagit

Lurker
Jan 27, 2015
Got my box...thanks Shaintiques! I had to leave for a business trip right away, so I'll have some pics up this weekend.
What an awesome program. Thanks for doing it!
--Skagit 8)

dustmite

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2015
I would like to get my name on the list, please. So far I have 2 MM pipes and have tried Captain Black, Borkum Riff and two bulk mixes I was able to find near my house. The project is awesome, and seems like a great community here.

n240sxguy

Lurker
Sep 21, 2014
I finally got to fire up one of my pipes today. I went with the Big Ben and the Indian Tradition tobacco I received. It smells similar to CAO Moontrance, which I love, but it doesn't carry over in the smoke the same way at all. It was a good smoke. I only tamped and relit once. I burned it for about 15 minutes and the smoke suddenly just stopped. It was so well behaved until then that I didn't want to tamp it and change anything about the draw. After it went out, I tamped, relit, and carried on for another 15 minutes or so. This is a nice little pipe, and the tobacco didn't have any bite or moisture problems. Overall a very good experience. One cool bonus about the pipe, as you'll see in the pictures, it has a built in shiv. Actually it is a pretty ingenious way to keep little bits of tobacco from plugging up the stem. If you don't have a moist blend, you don't even need a pipe cleaner with you. Cool stuff. Thanks again to all who make this project possible. I'll post more pics when I get to the bigger pipe. For now, here ya go.

azpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2015
Wow, this is almost too good to be true. I'd love to have my name added to the list Shaintiques. I've got about 6 months under my belt and have acquired a few cobs and a briar that's gonna need some repair/alteration in order to smoke well. I've been hesitant to pull the trigger on a new briar but I've definately been lurking on a number of sites. Id be happy to post any pics in return. Let me know anything you'll need from me on my end and I'll be happy to do it. Thank you.
Cheers

n240sxguy

Lurker
Sep 21, 2014
Finally got to fire up the big pipe a couple days ago. It has a HUGE bowl! I tried the taste of autumn tobacco. It was really nice and smooth. Here's the pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.