PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobojoe

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2011
I was on vacation from work. My Store Manager called on friday and said he had

some bad news. I asked him if they laid him off.I was hi supervisor and ran his store

when he when on vacation. He said "No it is you".. I said lets get the paper work done.

A good severance pay, cobra less than what I was paying while working and retired the next day,

63 years old, and filed for unemployment benefits.

That was in June 2009. Took a few years to straighten out and those gadgets I bought

while working is in full use now.

Worked for the company for 30 years and still are friends.

Joe2shoes

hobojoe

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2011
Sorry had to correct my spelling. My system when haywire. Fixed it.

After over 40 years selling cat/tractor/truck parts. Did not to speak or spell

right to sell parts. Just sell the right thing first. hardest was to clear the cursing

after retirement.

Joe2shoes

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
Kudos to all of ya enjoying your retirement!

I'm one o' those schmoes that through a combination of poor planning, less than wise decisions and plain ol' bad luck will be working up to the last call.
As Frank said a year ago when he started this thread, I've got my pipe to fend off the blues and bring a smile when it's most needed.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
Been retired 10 years now. Love it. As for things to do? After I retired, I got two partime jobs, and worked another 8 years.

Finally after working for 46 years at one thing or another, I finally decided to stay home.
Photography takes up a lot of my time now. I also am a watch geek, and have a small accumulation of them. I still read a lot, and have my pipes to sit with me during the quiet times. I take small vacations when money permits. Oh yeah, I also have my girlfriend, who happens to be 11 years younger than me, to take up the slack. ( I hope she doesn't read this).

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Retirement ? Sjees... I'm 45, love to work, but am slowly getting to the point where I could see myself sitting out on the patio with a pipe, book and mug of coffee all the time ;-)
I think I've got 20 years left to go though. Raising this nest of kids we have has left my retirement planning out there somewhere. Still haven't found it, so until I do, working it is :rofl:

pentangle

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2011
Genova-Italy
I will be 58 next july and i worked for 35 years.I have to work 8 years again to get retired due to the new italian laws.I hate to work now , i'm bored because i need my time to make photography, carving my pipes etc etc.

hobojoe

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2011
Pentagle,

There's a whole mess of Egg Heads over here that thinks some one owes them a life.

I feel for you and think that's why hardships make a better person.

Regulations probably makes it difficult to sell your Pipes cause everyone there has the same

difficulties. Photographs! Everyone, I belive, would like their reflections to last.

I will never forget the hardships of people that past before me and the sacrifices they made

so i now have the life I have.

Joel Joseph Stewart

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I'm 61. retired in 2006.Worked construction and got tired of running all over the country chasing work.I spend most of my time in my shop in the basement restoring,re-finishing pipes. Also make a few pipes, as well as a few tampers.

pentangle

Jan 21, 2011
Genova-Italy
"I'm 61. retired in 2006"
I whould like to know how it works in Usa How many years one man needs to work before to get the money for the rest of his life.Here we have to work 42-43 years or at finally it needs to be 66-67 years old to get the money from the government.About the same aumount of the last wage salary

Maurizio

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
I was retired from work in 2006 at the age of 50 because of a back injury that I received in 1995 in an industrial injury, after 3 operations on my back and live on pain killers, so I spend my time relaxing with my pipes and playing Guitar and hobbling about on a walking stick. a good job that my wife is a nurse, she takes good care of me.

mattmars

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2011
37 years old here and should be able to retire in 20 years, but will still have to work at something until I hit 67.

seakayak

Sep 21, 2010
I'm 61 like ejames, but expect to remain at the helm of Sandtree Family Therapy for as long as I am able. I am blessed with a job I truly love and with a list of clients I consider friends. It's a good life and I ain't leaving until I must.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Retire,only in my dreams.Went in for a consult for major back surgery & they discovered i have a weird bone condition and have to have both hips replaced before they will touch my back.Now thinking both shoulder joints are gone to.Still work 10hr days on concrete but with a cane.But...told the wife I'm blessed,ain't cancer.Smoke & count my blessins :!:

eddy

Lurker
Jan 9, 2012
AZ
I'm trying to find a job- retirement is most likely a myth for me. I remember my Dad telling me about how his father worked for Con Edison his entire life, had the same office, regular raises, Christmas bonuses, etc. I don't think that world exists much anymore.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
What are these, "regular raises" and "Christmas Bonuses" of which you speak?! And how do I find employment at a business that has such things? :rofl:
-Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.