PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fhb2532

Lifer
Feb 22, 2010
In the "What are you smoking?" thread Cortez says he's retired atlast. How many members are retired, what did you do, how do you like retirement, and what do you do to keep busy?

For me I became disabled/retired 8 years ago. After a few years health problems I regained my interest in pipe smoking last summer, I found this site on my birthday this year and turned into a chimmeny :) I can hoestly say that pipe smoking saved my life, pulling me out of deppression. Now I smoke my pipes hang out on this site and (gasp) watch tv with arenewed zest for life. Oh yeah, I worked 32 years as an electronic tech.
Frank

jonesing

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 11, 2010
Cool Frank! I mean not the disabled part. But ypou know what I mean. Found an enjoyable life.
I have 15 years of working left IF I'm lucky. Turn 43 this month anf with no kids to get thru college and then quasi support for a few years I only have to worry about me (well US). But 15 is likely wishful thinking. But if I could hang it up at 60 that would be cool. I have partial pension from State Farm where I worked 11 years. And have a great pension and retirement plan with my current employer.
My wife is 10 years younger and is in her first year of a 2nd career as a teacher. She was a Sr. Manager at FedEx before that.
So I expect she'll work for another 30 years at least.
I'm not going to be the stick around to the bitter end guy. One of my guys has a manager working for him who is 66 and still keeps working. He's definitely not broke. He has a life outside of work. But he still keeps working right along. I admire his determination but that will not be me. As soon as I can maintain my current living level without working I am OUTA HERE! Love my job. Really do. But it's still a job.

maduroman

May 15, 2010
me, i am in the same boat. i am med retired and i HATE it. for the last 18 years it was 10-12 hours a day 6 days a week down to nothing starting last december. now nothing...
so, pipes, cigars and books keep me a little sane...

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I'm 58 and in the process of fighting for a disability due to a worn out back. I keep busy with my woodwork and blacksmith work when i am able. Otherwise it's enjoying my pipes and doing research into the Viking age.

sapo59

Can't Leave
Dec 29, 2009
I have along way till retiring, I'm only 28. Must be nice guys. Happy to hear pipesmoking saved you frank.

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
RJ... Dude I loved to watch Tarkenton play ball when I was a kid. The Vikings playing outside, now that was the way football was meant to be played. Go figure here I was a kid growing up in Phoenix Arizona and my favorite team at the time was the Minnesota Vikings.
Sorry Arthur!

chuckw

Oct 7, 2009
Retired a year and a half ago two months after my 66th birthday and loving it. Yard work, reading and this Infernal Damned Machine keep me busy. For the first time since High School I'm re-reading Homer. I've made it to Book Five of The Odyssey.

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
Oh Uncle so you're more the Joe Capp era? :>)
I know I know. I as just attempting (miserably it seems) to inject a bit of humor.
The "real" Vikings are fascinating; but I know little about them except the likely flawed common portrayal.
They looked like members of GWAR and enjoyed boating.
RJ

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I actually envy you who are retired. I still have 20 years to go before I get to do it :(.

My dream is to become independently rich so I can just quit working and then travel around the world, collecting Dunhill and other expensive pipes and tobaccos.
At least we have 4 week summer vacations here :).

classicgeek

Apr 8, 2010
I'm 37 and with a girl in kindergarten and a boy in diapers. Retirement? What's that? I gotta stay sane for another 25 years or so.
Simon

sander

Lurker
May 18, 2009
The Netherlands
Hmm... Retiring....
Well I gues I should start working first, right?

At times I think it's good to be young.

On the other side, I'm getting a bit tired of this society I'm living in.

So yeah, I just want to live on without having to do anything.

And with the possibillity to do anything.
But I think that's something that's unheard of in this world.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
I'm 55,but with the economy as bad as it is, and how fast the money goes, I'll have to retire as they haul me out of work dead, on a gurney.

Status
Not open for further replies.